So You have not decided where to travel in 2018

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 14:05
ThreadID: 136079 Views:2330 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greeting all

Well here we are into another year and I know that many have plans set for this years trips.

If you have not decided where to go, and are looking at exploring new territory, then I hope I can temp you with my new Blog, and travel to an area that gets very little exposure here on ExplorOz.

The Central Arnhem Highway is a great drive and will take you through some very special country and then into the town of Nhulunbuy.

Past years have seen it hard to get permits to travel into Nhulunbuy, but with the closure of the processing plant in Nhulunbuy and the loss of over 2500 jobs, the town in conjunction the with the Northern Lands Council and the Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation have now made it easier than ever to get there.

A transit permit from the NLC is free and only takes minutes to get over the counter in Katherine from their very friendly and helpful staff. The drive in on the Central Arnhem Highway is an adventure in itself, with ever changing scenery, wildlife and road conditions.

So rather than looking at coloured lines on a map, into an area that you have not driven before, I have made the blog easy to follow and shows you what you will see along the 675 kilometre drive from the Stuart Highway, all the way into Nhulunbuy.

Happy planing and I hope I can get some of you into this very special area and what some touring companies call "Australia's Last True Remote Frontier."

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Cheryl & Ian (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 15:59

Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 15:59
Interesting read Stephen, thanks for putting it on our radar. What time of the year did you go and how long were you there?

Cheers, Cheryl

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616028

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 17:14

Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 17:14
Hi Cheryl

It was part of our annual holiday in August of last year. Unfortunately, we were only in Nhulunbuy for a week and that just went too quick, and if I had the time, two weeks in Nhulunbuy would have been even better, as there is just so much to see and do.

We did the drive in and out of around a day and a half each way. Some locals that I was speaking to do it non stop and over a 11 or so hour non stop drive. The biggest problem with that type of drive is you are on the go all the time and would not see much, and they also sit a lot faster, around the 95 - 100 mark.

On our return drive back out, we were sitting around the camp fire and it as 9:30 pm when a car slowed right down and the dogs went right off. The car came in very slowly and after telling the dogs to " shut up " ,I went over to the driver to see what he was up to.

It turned out to be a young local lad from Nhulumbuy, who left there at 3 pm and was sitting on around 110 all the way, but had to pull over and take a sleep, as the cattle and buffalo on the road were becoming quite dangerous. He was doing a flying run to Darwin to collect a transmission for a mates car, said he would be back in Nhulumbuy late the next night, as it was quicker to do the long run, rather than having to wait for over a week for the next barge to come in, as that is the only way everything comes into town, from, food, fuel and everything in between.

The weather in August was a constant 29 every day, and dropping down to around 19 to 20 at night, to whick the locals thought was cold.

It is a fantastic place to visit and I can assure you that Fiona and I are planning a longer, return visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887256

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 17:54

Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 17:54
Hi Stephen, Janet and I decided a few weeks ago to head to Darwin and Kakadu in May. We hadn't thought about Arnhem Land because of permits and the organisation of camp sites etc. It just seemed too hard. We have no time constraints so we may look further into it. Also there is so much to see on the way heading through Peterborough from NSW and many places we have seen before and many that we have missed out on because of previous routes taken. We will be away about two months probably and planning is always difficult due to all the beautiful places to consider in our wonderful country. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616033

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 18:22

Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 18:22
Hi Michael

If you can get the time, you will not regret the detour out to Nhulunbuy.

The only thing that you will not get in Nhulunbuy say over Kakadu are the crowds.

To be honest, the only crowds that we encountered when at Nhulunbuy was in the Woolworths Supermarket. With the exception of visiting Yirrkala art centre and town, every other place that we went to, we were the only people there.

If you enjoying seeing special scenery, remote locations and no big crowds, Nhulunbuy should be on everyone "Must Visit " locations.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887257

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 19:03

Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 at 19:03
Thanks Stephen, I look forward to reading about you're time there. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 887258

Sponsored Links