Short cuts from Norseman to Perth - Safety first

Submitted: Friday, Jan 05, 2018 at 20:01
ThreadID: 136060 Views:3422 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Of late I have been seeing people requesting info on road/track conditions in the woodlands area between Norseman and Hyden. Or Lake king to norseman

I would like to draw you to attention of this article/advice I found. originating from ABC esperance -goldfields area

BUSHFIRE UPDATE: About 20 volunteer firefighters are fighting a bushfire which has been burning in a remote section of the Goldfields for more than a fortnight.

The fire is burning in an inaccessible area, in the vicinity of Thursday Rock, about 80 kilometres west of Norseman.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services has closed the Hyden-Norseman Road because the fire is "out of control" and "unpredictable".

Several wind changes have prolonged the life of the fire, which has burnt 50,000 hectares since it was started by lightning on December 17.

For more information, visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au

Just over ten years ago we had a large bush-fire along Gt Eastern hwy which had road blocks in place at Southern cross and Coolgardie.

For a short time the highway opened to allow a convoy of trucks through, sadly the convoy was engulfed in a fire tornado (for lack of better words) and 3 drivers were incinerated inside their trucks,two of drivers were found together within the sleeper cab.

So ultimately if you do consider using "short cuts" think of your own safety first if nobody (in authority WAPOL DFES) know you are in a area impacted by fire or will be then they won't be searching for you to conduct a evacuation, and it maybe some time before a survey of area is done which then needs a forensic examination on remains for identification purposes.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Rob J8 - Friday, Jan 05, 2018 at 20:22

Friday, Jan 05, 2018 at 20:22
Good post Dean.
AnswerID: 615925

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 02:53

Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 02:53
Thursday Rock is on the North Eastern end of the Holland Track (Victoria Rock Rd end) and is over 30+ km north of Hyden Norseman Rd.
The last couple of days the winds have been hot northerlies. This evening (Fri) winds have changed to hot gusty southerlies. Holland Track would be a no go zone as well. Fire will have changed direction.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615931

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 12:36

Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 12:36
Not sure why the ABC is referring to Thurdsay Rock, which is nowhere near where EmergencyWA lists the fire (emergency.wa.gov.au). Disappointment Rock is about 80 km west of Norseman but it’s over 70km SSE of Thursday Rock.

70km is really quite some distance - the whole Perth metro area would just about fit in 70 km!

But that said, there’s no way I’d be on either the Hyden Norseman rd or the Holland Track at the moment. Especially after 3 days of 40 degree heat in the Goldfields.
FollowupID: 887087

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 15:51

Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 15:51
Paul

concur with a few of the descriptions -as you pointed out eitherway no way you'd be out there in summer. add bushfire risk per my original posting.

What does have me currently stumped is the report from ABC about the light aircraft that had a forced landing - burra rock near Victoria rock rd and burracoppin. And responding WAPOL was Kambalda station.

Able to figure that one out - I'm stumped to say least they good 80 kms apart ?

not sure about 70kms fitting in Perth metro area seems to stretch from north of two rocks and south past Mandurah these days. and yet some drive commute from two rocks to secret harbor for work
FollowupID: 887096

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 16:42

Saturday, Jan 06, 2018 at 16:42
Dean

I had occasion to check the either day and the Perth urban sprawl from south of the Dawesville Cut to around Yanchep is about 140km.

I remember when both were places you went camping for weekends.

Cheers
FollowupID: 887097

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 12, 2018 at 23:37

Friday, Jan 12, 2018 at 23:37
Updating: Fire crews have now contained (but not controlled) this fire, which has now burnt 100,000 hectares, twice what it had a week ago.Well done crews.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616055

Sponsored Links