Waeco CF50 latch issue

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 22:25
ThreadID: 135876 Views:9091 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As you wonderful people helped me fix my temperature selection switch issue I'm hoping you can do the same for the lid latch

The spring inside the handle on my CF50 disengaged itself and the latch no longer works. I fiddled with it, got it back together and working but it failed again.

Is there a permanent fix for this or perhaps an alternative and hopefully more robust system that I can use or will have to buy a replacement latch assembly?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn C5 - Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 07:30

Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 07:30
https://www.autoelec.com.au/waeco-spare-replacement-lid-latch-lock-assembly-su
Hi OOOPS. I had the same trouble . Stuffed around with it for a while and finally got it to work. Have a look at the attached link. It might give you an idea where the spring sits. Good luck.
AnswerID: 615028

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:06

Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:06
Those Waeco latches are really crummy. I repaired mine on the CF35 a couple of times. The spring issue was solved by inserting a coil spring and securing it with Araldite. Then the support pillars for the hinge pin broke.
Re-attaching was not reliable so I finally manufactured a whole new internal assembly from aluminium.

An alternative to the original latch is elastic Loop & Button as used on EvaKool iceboxes and other products.
A similar product is available from BCF and Whitworth Marine.

I finally re-engineered it to a reliable design
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615036

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 13:22

Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 13:22
A mate has a Waeco and reckons the latches are rubbish also, he carries a spare one in his vehicle now after having replaced a few already. When we were down in Tassie on holidays with him he had to find a store that sold them after his broke again...luckily they seem to be easily gotten due to how many break. I'm sure others will now come out and say they've never broken a latch yet, but it is well known that quite a few do break.
FollowupID: 885812

Follow Up By: Ooops - Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 17:03

Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 17:03
Allan it sounds like you've got some enviable skills that are missing from my genetics :0) so I think I'm going to fit the elastic loop & button as a preemtive measure. The only thing is I'm not too keen on drilling into the case

rumpig, your mate has the patients of a saint, my OCD would have given me a coronary after the second failure :0)
FollowupID: 885817

Reply By: Ooops - Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 16:53

Friday, Nov 17, 2017 at 16:53
When I fixed it the first time I assembled it on the bench and then refitted it, all a bit fiddly. This time I left the base attached to the fridge and refitted the front part that carries the latches, it couldn't have been easier.

As has been pointed out it seems to be a bit of design flaw and its likely to fail again so I think I'll fit the elastic loop and hook system as redndancy
AnswerID: 615050

Sponsored Links