Suaoki G7 Jump starters

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 17:07
ThreadID: 135867 Views:7429 Replies:7 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
I brought one of these units for this years travels. At the caravan park at Weipa and saw someone with the hood up. Nosey me went over to find a BT50 with a flat battery. I have just the thing puffing out my chest. I went and got my G7 which was fully charged, connected it up - click click is all that happened. With my tail between my legs I retreated. The consensus is that the cables are not thick enough to carry the load.
Some have raved they have started many times with one of these units, even V8's. My unit holds the charge well and will run my computer for ages. Any ideas why others get different performance from the same unit?
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 18:18

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 18:18
Hi Chris

Are you sure that you do not have the Irish version......lol

We also have the same unit and had to put it into use at Nhulunbuy.

The guy camped next to us in a diesel Holden Captiva had a flat battery one morning, so like you I said I will get you going with my new toy.

Connected it all up, but was a little concerned that his lights came on the moment his ignition was turned on. He hit the key to turn the vehicle over nd it started his car immediately.

He was so impressed by the very small size, he took out his phone, took a few photos and said he was going to buy one when he got back to Darwin.

Have you tried it on another vehicle with a flat battery to make sure it was not the other car or the charger?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614958

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 18:25

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 18:25
Yep, tried another time but I was no so cocky this time, but still did not work.
Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885707

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 19:02

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 19:02
Hi Chris

That ia a real bugger.

It will be very interesting to see if it has happened to anyone else.

I hope my unit does not let me down if needed.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885710

Reply By: FatGaz - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 18:49

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 18:49
I would have expected the G7 to be able to do it easily.
Have you ever started a flat battery car before?? This will let you know if you are doing it right (or not)
I have a T10 and I need to press the ON button to jump start a car. - Was the G7 ON when you tried it out??
AnswerID: 614960

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 22:28

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 22:28
Bear in mind that if the BT50 battery was dead flat, your little jump starter would be trying to pump Volts into the battery as well as trying to start the car so that would affect the performance as well.
AnswerID: 614966

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 22:29

Tuesday, Nov 14, 2017 at 22:29
Chris, I have the G7 and had a similar problem with the tuck truck the other week. Battery was dead (and I mean dead) flat. Checked the capacity of the G7 after 6 months in the cupboard and it registered 100%. Hooked it up, got the greens on the lead and turned the key....Nothing. G7 began beeping (low voltage alarm). Checked again...30% capacity. Fully charged it for a few hours back to 100%, hooked up the G7, got the greens on the leads and again nothing. Checked out the G7 while scratching my head thinking what the? (it had worked on every other occasion) and realised that I had not pressed the on button. Guess what....it cranked it but only just.

I think that if the crank is totally drained, even the G7 will have an issue. Just remember that when the green indicator lights come on in the lead capacitor (or what ever that thing is), you still need to turn the unit on. Maybe that was the issue?

Great units. I carry it as an emergency start and popwer source on the quad expeditions.

Cheers

Mick

Cheerfs
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614967

Follow Up By: William P - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:02

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:02
I have found that an alternative way of starting with these type of devices often works. You use the little starter as a charger and connect it to the main car battery and leave it connected for 30 - 45 mins - as long as the main battery is in good condition just low or flat very often you can get enough charge in the main battery for it to start.

This is the premise of how these little gizmos worked when they were first introduced years ago an operated through the cigarette lighter. Many who had not read the instructions claimed quite correctly that they would not start and that the wiring would be too light to start the car - of course they were correct but the instructions indicated it was to be plugged in until the little starter's battery was depleted into the main battery then the car hopefully started.
FollowupID: 885733

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:32

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:32
To FatGaz and Mick, I cannot remember if I turned the G7 on as you suggest. The instruction manual shown below makes no mention of turning the unit on as you have suggested.

I do not have a flat battery at the moment, and I am not about to leave the headlights on to get one.
As we all know, the Chinese are just hopeless at writing user manuals in English. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense so I will try that next time. Both your experiences suggest that maybe I was stupid enough to read the f@%*&$# manual. As for taking one on quad expedition, It would be a must I would think, much easier and lighter than jumper leads, and a great backup power source for the electronic menagere you carry on a quad.

Cheers,

Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885744

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 00:29

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 00:29
Gday Chris, I bough one off EBay at the end of May. I charged it, stuck it under my seat and checked it 6 weeks later, dead flat. I have been trying to communicate with the seller. He told me to cycle the unit and i did twice with my mobile phones, all looked good but I checked it again 10 days ago, only 43% charge, the unit was turned off when stored. So much for his 12 months warranty, he offered me $10 refund if I could still use it.So these units obviously have issues, I'm guessing they will come to the surface as owners try to use them in an emergency. My EBay seller is ignoring me now so I will have to wait to see how it goes. I think ill give EBay a miss in the future for for electronic gear and or not leave feedback. At least you have 6 months to leave bad feedback if it all goes south. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 614970

Follow Up By: Zippo - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:27

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:27
Michael, with ebay purchases I always use Paypal. In cases like yours it's quite straightforward to get a full refund. I've had to do this a couple of times. The matter of returning the faulty item to the seller becomes the seller's problem - if they want it back, it's their cost unless you decide to help out.
FollowupID: 885730

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:40

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:40
Why I never buy such items from ebay or any form of online store.

I got caught out when my normal lighting battery jump pack failed (old age) so ended up getting a similar unit from hardware store in narrogin (WA)

so far for providing lights at night and maybe charging up Ipod/mobile phone its worked well plus one night at home no power.

I wouldn't be contemplating using it as a jump starter though, esp with wires being same size as a dodgy chinese HID import driving lamp.

best way I have self started after ignition was left on during day and once head lights, use proper jumper leads from auxillary battery across to starter battery and got prado running no problems
FollowupID: 885731

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:58

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:58
Gday Zippo and Dean, thanks for the replies. My problem is I can't get a return address to send it to, all I get from this Asian seller is more excuses, now he is not communicating at all. I believe PayPal has extended it's intervention time from 40 day I think to 150 days but that's from July I'm sure. Is it EBay that can help me or PayPal. I paid with PayPal. The seller says the unit comes with 12 months warranty. Warranty is not worth the ink cost it seems. regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 885732

Follow Up By: Member - cruza25 - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:03

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:03
Chris,
Just raise a dispute refund claim with PayPal.

They are owned by eBay.

State details and that seller won’t respond.

They are usually very quick to sort things out.

I have never had to do a warranty claim, only for items that never came.

I got refunds within a few days.

Cheers
Mike
FollowupID: 885734

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:23

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:23
Thanks Mike, I'll get onto that today. We spend the money and we expect the sellers to do the right thing. regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 885735

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:57

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:57
Mike, Dean and Zippo ! I Got onto Ebay Chat, they confirmed my messages back and forward to the Seller and put me onto PayPal, a problem arose because of the time since purchase but all Ok, still within the 180 days. Dispute in action now, he has till 25th November to do something. Thanks for you help Mike and everyone else. See how it goes.
Sorry to hijack your Thread Chris! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 885742

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 08:48

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 08:48
Chris, I was thinking about your particular experience, the instruction do say that if the flat battery is over 12v, possibly a surface charge/voltage, you need to lower that voltage by operating the headlights to reduce it so to allow the unit to see the lower voltage so it will actually work. I tried to start my ride on mower and had a similar experience, just click click click, it was only the ride on battery in the circuit because it couldn't see that lower voltage.Just a thought! Regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 614973

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 17:42

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 17:42
Hi Michael, Your suggestion has a lot of logic to it. The instruction manual that came with my unit is below.

As you can see it makes no mention of the discharged battery being over 12 volts. Next time I use it I will check the voltage with a multimeter, and if over 12 volts do as you suggest and do something like turn the lights on.
Thanks, great suggestion
Chris.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885739

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:43

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:43
This is what the seller sent me!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 885740

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:48

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 18:48
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 885741

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:14

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:14
Sorry Chris, That was in the info the seller sent me a while back. Not in the Leaflet that came with the unit. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 885743

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:37

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 19:37
Thats really great Michael. I have printed it out and put it in my user manual.
Thanks,

Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 885745

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 19:55

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 19:55
Foot note to the user instructions, always read after using the unit

I find it rather unsafe/unusual for negative clamp to be placed on negative battery terminal, all the battery leads I have seen of late including one's with anti pulse/surge arrester suggest using a earth on the engine/chassis, to prevent battery explosion esp if a collapsed battery is involved.

Also fairly certain that if a "jump start procedure was to be performed the unit has to be switched on to allow this function to occur - bit like using a defib unit it may work just by trickle flow (bit like a pacemaker for heart) but when you want to give something a big kick in pants (chest) then needs to be turned on to give full capacity
AnswerID: 615011

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 20:56

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 20:56
Hi Dean,

The reason for attaching the negative clamp away from the battery is of course to avoid sparking near a possible hydrogen cloud. Fair enough, but two factors prevail here to annul this. 1) The device in question will not pass current until the Start button is pressed, hence no current at connecting = no spark. 2) The hydrogen cloud will only be present if the battery needing the jump has been heavily charging. If it needs a jump it has not been charging = no cloud.

In all my time, I have only experienced two battery/hydrogen ignitions. One was internal to a faulty battery and the other was on a bank of batteries being heavily charged and thus gassing. I don't think you need to be too concerned. It is a rather speculative proposition. What's more, any hydrogen cloud above a battery is going to be pretty small and unconfined, that is in open air, so any ignition is going to be little more than a puff. It may surprise you but will not take your eyebrows off. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 885795

Follow Up By: Zippo - Saturday, Nov 18, 2017 at 23:29

Saturday, Nov 18, 2017 at 23:29
Apart from the hydrogen factor that Allan mentioned, the other very valid reason for connecting the negative clamp to the engine block (or starter casing where possible) is to bypass the negative cable and battery terminal connection (which may be suss and causing the starting issues). Shorter path, less resistance and less problematic items in the circuit.
FollowupID: 885850

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 07:47

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 07:47
That's right Zippo. I forgot that. Possibly the best reason.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 885852

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 11:29

Sunday, Nov 19, 2017 at 11:29
Both are valid points

Prompted me to drag my unit out and have bit of a look, can't find the user instructions and apart from button which turns led light on into SOS or rapid flasher

Doesn't appear to be a dedicated button/switch to activate the jumper action either
FollowupID: 885863

Sponsored Links