Be careful driving in Qld

Submitted: Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 10:06
ThreadID: 135709 Views:5631 Replies:5 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
Look for abnormalities in the Armco safety rail.

This one gets you and you don`t know where it was that you were booked.
Coming to a road near you. Should bring in another mountain of revenue!
This new style speed camera is on the highway leading into Maryborough!

It's one of many that will be installed over the next 12 months throughout Qld.
And of course, everywhere else, after that!!!

Dont know if it's true.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 10:46

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 10:46
Looks like it's part true - the photos are from a trial being run in Switzerland - its not even a speed camera

And not in Australia

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/New-UK-speed-camera-scare-story-hoax-is-spreading-9412.php
AnswerID: 614197

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:13

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:13
Hmm! I find following the speed limit works!
AnswerID: 614198

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:31

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:31
Yup, works for me as well.
FollowupID: 884771

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 12:05

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 12:05
Me too. It will only bring in another mountain of revenue from those that exceed the speed limit, which is a good thing.
FollowupID: 884772

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 12:37

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 12:37
Hi Bill,
These shots are definitely NOT at Maryborough, in the background you can make out railway signals and a bridge......there is no such feature on any Bruce Hwy exit into Maryborough.
Cheers and beers though for informing us of the latest in 'revenue raising'
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614199

Follow Up By: Member - bill j (VIC) - Saturday, Oct 07, 2017 at 10:16

Saturday, Oct 07, 2017 at 10:16
Thanks tony thought it was a bit suss when i received it . but you never know with our money hungry pollies.
FollowupID: 884785

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 16:09

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 16:09
People !!

It's not a speed camera

it's not near Maryborough

Its not even in Australia

IT'S NOT TRUE !!!
AnswerID: 614206

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 18:10

Friday, Oct 06, 2017 at 18:10
The black and white striped pole in the first shot aren't used in Awstraya.
Maybe the picture is from a media company, they get things totally wrong and expect us to believe. Mind games and public manipulation is what they do.
FollowupID: 884781

Follow Up By: 12HT75 - Thursday, Oct 12, 2017 at 23:47

Thursday, Oct 12, 2017 at 23:47
RMD posted:
The black and white striped pole in the first shot aren't used in Awstraya.

Actually they are, for culvert markers. (See near the bottom of the following link)

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/BuildingRoads/StandardsTechnical/RoadandTrafficEngineering/TrafficManagement/SignsIndex/Pages/1.5-Hazard-Markers---Category%201.aspx
FollowupID: 884885

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Oct 07, 2017 at 19:21

Saturday, Oct 07, 2017 at 19:21
Need more of them lots more. I don't mind how much money it will make, but I hope it makes no money with everyone doing the right thing and not speeding.
I don't have to worry as I do not speed .

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614225

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 09:04

Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 09:04
Ever ?? Not even once have you strayed over the limit ?
I set the cruise, even when towing, but without cruise control on I find it very hard to stay at or near the limit......ALL the time !!
FollowupID: 884797

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 19:02

Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 19:02
Never, always 5 to 10ks under. Speed limit is the limit not what you have to do. Everyone wants to be at the limit all the time, and there is no need for it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884807

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 21:43

Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 21:43
The limit is what you have to do if you don't want to inconvenience all the other road users....especially along the east coast freeways.
Alright if you're wandering along an outback road..
FollowupID: 884809

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 23:06

Sunday, Oct 08, 2017 at 23:06
Freeways have 2 lanes, so going 5 to 10ks slower in the left lane isn't going to inconvenience anyone. You could be a P plater and only doing 90 for red and 100 for green in a 110 so I'm just like a P plater without the P plate. They is no road rule saying you have to do the speed limit, and when road conditions change, like bucket down with rain you should be dropping 10 off your speed anyway, or that's what they tell you, drive to the conditions just like a dirt road.
The only people I inconvenience are people who like speeding and that fine if I can slow them down.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884810

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 06:48

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 06:48
The last time I was pulled over, I thought the speed limit was 100 so was doing 95. I saw the cop and checked my speed. The only problem was the speed limit was 80, I somehow missed the change on an unfamiliar road. Even with the best intentions you can contribute to the government coffers.
FollowupID: 884812

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 13:09

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 13:09
I have no issues with people sitting 5 - 10kph under the limit if that's what they want to do, I do however wonder why so many of them suddenly decide they want to drive at or just over the limit the minute they reach an overtaking lane...would be nice if they slowed down abit more then and let those that want to drive at the limit get past them.
FollowupID: 884818

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 17:54

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 17:54
Agreed rumpig
I think it would be a fascinating study to do for a Masters or Doctorate in Psychology.
Designing the study so that you got to the real reason, as opposed to the presenting reason, would take some skill!
FollowupID: 884820

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 20:04

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 20:04
I have no problems with those that wish to travel 5 or 10 k under the posted 100k limit and I have no problems with those who trace even slower than that. What I do have a problem with is those that speed up on an overtaking lane, don't allow others through when they see a place to pull over and those that know you are speed limited and don't ease of a little and let you around when you are out there overtaking.

I will never know what goes on in some brains, if someone wants to overtake let them go, they are happy and so are you when they are gone..

The other day I was sitting on 98 towing and a big one caught me. It was so simple to radio that I was sliding off into a truck parking bay, he came round and I was still doing nearly 90 when I came back onto the road. I would guess his limiter was good for around 103kph so everything just happened. He was happy and thanked me.

FollowupID: 884822

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 20:56

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 20:56
What size Tshirt do you take Andy. I would like to send you one for Xmas.

I personally think it may suit you. It says " Beware arrogant driver ".

Come to think of it your not worth the 5 bucks, a bumper sticker will have to suffice.

Agreed with everything you posted until your last sentence. you sir are part of the problem.
FollowupID: 884823

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 21:49

Monday, Oct 09, 2017 at 21:49
This topic has always got a few different points of view. From the arrogant drivers that think they are possibly saving lives by going slow, to some that think going way over the speed limit is okay.
Totally agree with the comments on drivers that are under the speed limit need to slow down when possible to let the other traffic flow, not arrogantly speed up.
And my other pet hate "tailgaters" unnecessarily being to close is dangerous as well.
My wife and I just got home from a 21,000 Kim motorcycle trip in the USA and Canada, what a pleasure to drive in countries that are NOT hell bent on policing the "speed limit ". Therefore you're not using part of your concentration constantly watching for what the limit is.
I just mostly went with the majority of the traffic, which a lot of the time is 10 to 15 MPH over the posted limit. One leg of our journey we needed to do some distance and did two days of 700 klms @ up to 140 kph ,but mostly 120 odd. The limit on this motorway was 80 mph / 129 kph. which meant a lot less time on the road. At that speed there were some vehicles going faster than us. We also spent a lot of time on smaller roads @ 80 to 100 kph as well, soaking up the country side.
I admit I like going quick, but only when conditions are right. Is that wrong?
The traffic flows well even on the smaller roads. Also I found generally the others vehicles are more motorcycle savvy than here.
There didn't appear to be any more accidents than here, probably less considering the extra amount of traffic in a lot of areas.
Also rode in Europe a couple of years ago which was very similar.
I wish somehow our country could change to be more like those countries.
Need more training and education of road users.
I guess we'll always have those that think going slower is "the" answer to less accident's, but some of them cause problems.
Cheers
Be safe and drive well, not necessarily slow.
FollowupID: 884824

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 06:40

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 06:40
G'day Shane

Couldn't agree more !

I just got back from 2 months in Europe and cruising on the freeways there at 170kph felt way safer driving with all the other vehicles on the road than it does here with half the other drivers not concentrating on what they are doing because they have to, by law, go so slow they have occupy their time by looking at the scenery ! The faster you go the more you have to concentrate !

Sitting on 170 I was constantly being overtaken by much faster cars in the outside lane and I can definitely say the drivers there are far more courteous than over here !

And as one of my copper mates said - where would the hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars come from each year if nobody was to get fined for doing 10 kph over the limit ??

Happy and safe travels

Gazz

FollowupID: 884825

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 07:13

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 07:13
You are right. I usually come back from driving overseas embarrassed to be Australian after witnessing the polite attitudes of the road users elsewhere.
You can only do 170 in Germany, everywhere else the limit is 130 which is plenty anyway in my opinion. I find modern cars tap out at around 130. Above that and you are really pushing them plus you can watch the fuel gauge dropping like a rock. Interestingly, I've driven a lot of B roads across Europe and found that the speed limits on them are quite low, usually 80kph. The same type of road here would be 100kph. People seem to stick to that limit without the usual overtaking rat race you typically see here.
FollowupID: 884826

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 08:55

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 08:55
My two bob’s worth…

You can only ever drive your own vehicle, so concentrate on doing that and don’t try and drive someone else’s vehicle for them, whether they are 20-kilometres under the speed limit, or 20-kilometres over it – you’ll have no idea why they might be doing either and getting frustrated won't change a thing.

And it is worth noting, that depending on your licence or vehicle type, you might be required to do less than the posted speed limit.

So keep your "cool" behind the wheel and focus on your own driving and exercise patience even in the most trying situations, after all it is the only thing you have control over…

Driving your car safely in the conditions presented to you in line with the road rules and within your experience level is key. That is what we should expect of all other road users, and that is what they should expect of us, helped along with a dose of good old common sense and courtesy.

Bearing in mind there are drivers of all levels of experience and confidence on the road, just as equally as there are with all levels of common sense and courtesy.

And on courtesy, it is an attitude, whether it be on the road, or in an internet forum, some people have more than others, some don’t have any at all, and a quick scan of the responses to Andy’s post confirms this…

Cheer’s Baz – The Landy

Ps: All this angst, if I can call it that, from a post that was made with good intentions I’m sure, but over something that is somewhat of a hoax and has been doing the rounds on the internet for a number of years…
FollowupID: 884827

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 09:20

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 09:20
Good comment Baz
"Drive your own vehicle"
Especially on the motorcycle, I am always looking at what's going on around me. The wife informed me a couple of times in town traffic that I had gone thru a red light, my reply was I was intent on watching the other vehicles and went thru safely. These were very slow , but busy intersections.
Another situation on a twin lane highway where there were 10 to 15 miles of roadworks, so down to 1 lane , I had a car tailgating me , I let him pass me after realising he wasn't going to back off. He then was just in front of me ( so he gained heaps from his impatience) and the semi that was now behind me sat at a good distance away from us.
On the drivers that want to go slow tho, they need to be courteous and not hinder the flow of the other traffic ( like using passing lanes and pull outs properly)
Cheers
FollowupID: 884828

Follow Up By: William P - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:36

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:36
If you are driving through red lights you need to consider giving up your licence before you kill someone.
FollowupID: 884829

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 15:27

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 15:27
William ,You’re missing my point.

The fact was I was concentrating on the traffic and the light just changed as I went. I didn’t come close to any other vehicle because I had assessed where everything was. Riding a motorcycle requires watching out for every other vehicle on the road, looking out for other vehicles is as important as looking at the lights.

If you have ever spent much time on a bike you would surely understand.

I certainly don’t run red lights Intentionally.
FollowupID: 884832

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 18:19

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 18:19
Shane, I have found most bike riders will sit at a decent distance behind and most times they will make sure you can see them in the mirrors, of course there are always the idiots but they are truly in the minority. They also don't cut in front of you which is a bonus.

There is one thing that has caused me hassles, that is the acceleration of bikes and especially so on roundabouts, one second there is nothing in the mirrors and the next a bike has lets say passed at a fair rate of knots coming out of nowhere.

I used to use the Putty road for many years and in fact travelled it both ways a couple of weeks ago. Some of the riders that love that road just seem to have a death wish.

Harleys are exempt, as they have a 24 hour a day jake brake to warn they are coming.

Just letting you know many of us aren't perfect and that includes me. I had a vehicle in front of me with the fellas in blue behind him. we were all turning right, light went green, he went but the arrow was red, poor bugger it was totally unintentional but on went the red and blues lights.

Just a thought for those who travel slowly and don't pull over or assist others to pass. Remember those behind may need to be somewhere for some reason, in my case it could be the next place I can get a feed and shower or a truck parking bay with toilets before my allowed time runs out, it may also include a deadline for pickup or drop off.

Note! If you could wear my boots what laws would you abuse.

FollowupID: 884835

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 18:21

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 18:21
Just to clarify a few things. My car is loaded to 30kgs below GVM, that is why I drive a bit slower (5 to 10ks) depending on road conditions. I stay in the left lane and do not hold up any traffic, if I’m on country roads they pass easily when it’s not double lines. If a road train is coming up behind me I will communicate with the driver and when he/she wants to get past I inform the driver that I will enter the oncoming lane and take my foot off the pedal while he/she can stay in the same lane and pass. It is a lot easier for me to avoid anything coming from the other direction than a road train. Also stops you from being sand/rock blasted by their wheels going onto the shoulder, and their wagons wobbling all over the place.
Now for those of you that think that speeding is OK, just think about this. I’m doing 95kph and you want to do over 100kph say 105kph, you follow me for 1 hour your only been held up for 6 minutes, if you wanted to do 100kph that would be 3minuets. So your saying that 6 minuets of your life is more important that a life of other drivers, as speeding kills, and that is a proven fact.
Greg T11 you called me arrogant, well you are a very selfish person to think that putting peoples lives in danger or harm for 3 minuets in your life is ok.
Oh by the way I take a break every 2 hours of driving, so the longest I will hold up anyone is 12 minutes, not that that has ever happened as they get around me very easy.
Outback Gazz, that police officer should be sacked for saying that. No government wants your money, in fact they spend millions of dollars on advertising trying to stop you from committing road offences. If everyone did the right thing on the roads they could have more police doing other important duties, like domestic violence, robbery, murder and the like, and the odd random breath test,as like speeding drivers, drunk driving has been going on for a long time and no matter how much the fines are and loss of licence they still do it. Why because they are arrogant and think they are above the law.
Rant over.
Safe driving everyone.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884836

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 20:27

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 20:27
G’day Eagle
Yep I’ve observed over the years bike accidents caused by the bike riders going to fast. They don’t realise, the rest of the traffic is not expecting something to appear so quickly, so is their own fault.
Yep, I’m pretty sure we all make mistakes, maybe some are perfect but I’d doubt that.
Harley noise level........well I wouldn’t want to rely on that to save me.
I also do some truck driving ( road train grain harvest) and been around plenty of people that truck full time. So understand the issues that come with that.
Okay for Andy to point out the time versus speed maths, but when your driving for a living or just on a long trip all those minutes add up for sure. Especially when the regulations limit your time, but you’ve still gotta get the job done efficiently.

Cheers
FollowupID: 884840

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 22:07

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 22:07
Now for those of you that think that speeding is OK, just think about this. I’m doing 95kph and you want to do over 100kph say 105kph, you follow me for 1 hour your only been held up for 6 minutes, if you wanted to do 100kph that would be 3minuets. So your saying that 6 minuets of your life is more important that a life of other drivers, as speeding kills, and that is a proven fact.

Speeding doesn't kill.....it's the speed at which you hit an object that kills.
If you hit an oncoming car at 95 k/ph, it will be no difference whether it it was 100 or 105 k/ph.

Whether it's 3 minutes of someones time, or 1 minute, it's their time, not yours.

A speed limit is a limit set by pencil pushers in Canberra, not a limit that is unsafe if you go over it. Unsafe for your wallet maybe....
FollowupID: 884843

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 22:22

Tuesday, Oct 10, 2017 at 22:22
Andy, as I said I agreed with EVERYTHING you said up until your last sentence. That just makes you look like a friggin brain washed leftist.

You want to drive at 90 kmh great, that is your prerogative as you point out, I just tend to get the shits with people who think that they are the self appointed law enforcement just because they themselves can't go any faster... and in all seriousness I can understand, a rollover would be so easy with that thing you drive.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 884844

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 00:08

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 00:08
Gronk, it is obvious you have no idea how speed limits are set.. When roads are built they are designed with different road surfaces, cambers, point of entry etc. These all play a part as to the way a speed limit is set. Example: M1 starting from Sydney heading north you start with a speed limit of 80kph, you travel 2 Klm and it turns into 110kph, after crossing the bridge and heading up the hill the limit drops to 100 or 90 when wet, at the top of the hill it turns back to 110. 2 Klm before it ends the limit is reduced to 80 then 500m to end it reduces to 60 go around the round about and it’s back up to 80, when you get to Heatherbrae it drops to 70 go through the round about and it back to 110, another 10 or so Klm down the road the limit changes to100. So let’s analyse this.
At the start 80 kph you have a lot of traffic trying to merge, once they settle into their journey the limit is raised to 110, once over the bridge and heading up hill it’s 100 dry 90 wet (the road surface is the same but the drainage is not, as water runs across the road not running straight into the drain. Bad design at the time.) You are coming to the end of the freeway and the speed drops to 80 then at 500m it drops to 60. This is to slow people down before reaching the roundabout. After the roundabout it’s back up to 80 because of extra traffic and traffic entering and leaving the main road. You get to Heatherbrae and it drops to 70 because they are a lot of driveways and traffic entering and leaving the main road and you are about to enter a roundabout. Then back to 110 for a few more Klm till it drops back to 100 ( the road surface has not changed nor the design of the road but there are 3 or more entry/exit points without slip lanes). You might ask yourself why is the speed limit 110 then 100 then back to 110, the road surface is the same and it doesn’t look like anything has changed but why drop that 10 kph, it’s because there is a likelihood that other vehicles might enter or exit the road without any warning. The drop in the speed limit tells me that something has changed in the conditions and be aware that someone might pull out or pull over with little or no indication.
I can’t give you the formula that is used but I do know that eg: if a road has a limit of 110kph and you add one extra driveway in a set number of klms the limit is dropped to 100, the more driveways you add the more the limit drops. So you suggesting that an idiot in Canberra just makes up the speed limit, you are wrong. There are a lot of factors to take into account.
As for having a head on you could be killed doing 60 kph, and the reason for the head on is an asshole overtaking being in a hurry and not waiting for the right time to do it safely. Or someone asleep at the wheel. So when you T bone or run up the backside of someone it is because you were speeding, speed will kill and has killed, statistics don’t lie.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 884845

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 00:40

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 00:40
Andy,
Does all that mean that in a 110 posted area , we don’t need to pay as much attention?? Because the relevant dept has posted it?
I suggest we still need to be ever vigilant to whatever is happening around us regardless of posted speed limits.
The asshole you mention overtaking might not necessarily be speeding over the limit, but has made a very bad decision (speeding or not) . Maybe trying to get around someone going slow and holding up the rest of the traffic doing the speed limit.

Most people also realise that “ statistic’s can be made look better which ever way your leaning.
But for sure more speed = more pain. But speed doesn’t always cause accidents, some slow drivers also cause accidents as well.
The old “speed was a factor” comment is true because if everything was stationary there’s no speed, and hopefully no injuries. Hell people were getting killed on the road before cars, how fast is a horse.
Someone could twist an ankle walking couldn’t they!
You just go the speed you want, but be courteous to other road users and all will be good.
FollowupID: 884846

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 03:05

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 03:05
Very interesting topic, now lets get off the freeways, highways and byways for the intercity traffic and onto the dirt roads out west for instance.

I will bet my bippie that every person that comments on this topic, that slow drivers should be sticking to the speed limit, will do nothing but cuss and call every body an idiot that does stick to the speed limit on a dirt road.

I have read it many times on here where a driver passes/overtakes somebody doing 100 kph on a dirt road, and he threw stones all over me, rah rah rah.
Now the poor chap was only sticking to the speed limit, but to most he was a bloody idiot and should not have been going that fast and slowed down to what you would you think would have been an acceptable speed.

Do the people from the bush that drive on dirt roads all their life, and do so at 100 kph safely, carry on to the same extent when they come up behind some guy from the city poking along at 60 on a road with dust billowing out and can not get around them, that is sign posted at 100 kph or does he just sit patiently and wait.

Now you may abuse me and accuse me, and I don't really care if you do, but be honest and tell me, if and when you get off the bitumen and on to a dirt road, do you religiously stick to the sign posted speed. If not, why not, as that road must be safe to travel at that speed or it would not be sign posted to say it is. If it is than you are then just as inconsiderate as the person sitting at 90 on the highway.

Road rules are road rules, and speed limits apply to each and every road that has them posted, but to some if not many, should only be obeyed when you want them to.

Just thinking out aloud, now sitting with hands over ears.

Cheers

FollowupID: 884847

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 09:51

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 09:51
Simple answer for dirt roads , is drive to conditions, which change a lot more than on the pavement .
And personally I slow down when meeting traffic, and when I’ve got to overtake try not to go any quicker than needed, trying to keep the stones to a minimum.
I also think when being overtaken it’s good to back right off too, let the passer thru easier.
Less speed for safety and less stone damage.
Dirt road driving is a whole lot different to the paved roads.

Cheers
FollowupID: 884851

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:24

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:24
Just a thought for all those people out there that think it is so wrong to speed a bit etc. etc.
Yesterday when listening to the radio , the number of suicides was quoted,
They commented that if the road toll was that high , driving would be banned.

So thinking about that, we should all realise there’s bigger problems out there than people speeding.
FollowupID: 884853

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 17:03

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 17:03
Statistically, you are more likely to die on an overseas holiday....
FollowupID: 884859

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 19:00

Wednesday, Oct 11, 2017 at 19:00
Except for a police chase or a stolen vehicle crashing, I think the number of crashes due to exceeding the speed limit would be very low.
Inattention, lack of ability behind the wheel, on the phone, impatient manouvers would make up the majority of crashes.
In a lot of police reports that state speed was a factor, they neglect to say or expand on the nature of the speed ?

I'm on the road most days in a small truck and see semis and B doubles "speed" on the M1 all the time ( speed limited to 100 my ar*e ), but that extra 5 or 10 k/ph doesn't seem to bring out any "unsafe" driving that could lead to an accident ?
Why not increase the limit on freeways to 140 ?? Cause unlike overseas countries, we have a mentality that it would cause mass accidents and no politician would have the balls to advocate it.
FollowupID: 884862

Sponsored Links