Caravan electrics

Submitted: Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 20:41
ThreadID: 135582 Views:2725 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am building a little off road caravan and am wondering if it is normal (or good practice) to route the running lights, brake lights and indicators through fuses located at the front of the van?

Many thanks
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob R4 - Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 21:15

Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 21:15
Over 50 years of trailers, camper trailers, boat trailers, caravans, bike trailers, I've never encountered fuses between the trailer coupling plug and any lights, and would simply view them as another potentially troublesome connection to fail.
The tug should have those circuits protected by fuses on the main fuse block.
AnswerID: 613700

Follow Up By: Member - M&N's - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 17:41

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2017 at 17:41
My 2004 Golf Outback had a fuse block at the front of van for lights,brakes etc. as does my current van a 2016 Evenew so would not hurt to put them in IMHO mickb
FollowupID: 884233

Reply By: Keith B2 - Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 21:18

Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 21:18
That makes sense.Thanks Rob.
Keith
AnswerID: 613703

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:44

Monday, Sep 11, 2017 at 22:44
Although deemed unnecessary to have fuses at the front of the van, it can be an advantage with fuses smaller amp ratin gthan the vehicle supply for each line of supply.
The reason is, with a van a fuse at the front ie, just after the caravan 7 pin plug, will provide a really easy way to find any fault because if the vehicle fuse blows on that line then the fuse is blown, but the caravan isn't blown. So fault is forward of van.
If caravan fuse is blown then you know the fault is rear of the vehicle and sited in the caravan on that particular line.

If tracing faults with fuses, have a fuse (BLOWN) and solder a wire to each side of the blades. fit a globe with wattage approx same as the lights to be supplied and plug it in. First to the vehicle, then the trailer.
If the globe is bright, then fault remains.
If globe is dim, then the lights will also be dim and the fault has been fixed.
With LED lights the globe will not necessarily illuminate fully, but the LEDS will, so you then know there is no fault with the circuit. Far better than a multimeter tracing, which cannot do what the globe does.

I carry such a fuse/wire/globe always.

Hope this makes sense for you.
FollowupID: 884214

Sponsored Links