Comparison of 150 series Prado or hilux with a 90 series diesel prado

Submitted: Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 00:35
ThreadID: 135434 Views:5686 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I currently own a 90 series diesel Prado automatic (my second) and am looking to upgrade.
I am considering a current model 150 series Prado diesel auto, a diesel auto hilux (SR or SR5), or an ISUZU Dmax LS-M automatic.
Anyone got some feedback on how they compare with the 90 series in off road capability, in front seat comfort on long drives, and in towing a camper trailer (approx 1.5 tonnes). Any other feedback or pointers would be appreciated.
The 90 series has been a fantastic car but has started to show its age (new head, new suspension, new paint job in the last few years), and I am starting to wonder if the transmission or radiator will die on me when out in the sticks. It also struggles a bit with the camper trailer.
My inclination is to go with one of the Utes, but my wife would prefer a wagon. The car is used as a work commuter vehicle by me three days a week, and by my wife twice a week. We would also plan on doing a couple of two week trips a year and a 4 day weekend every month. Trips would be towing the trailer on a mix of highways and roads such as the Oodnadatta track, with some short sections of rougher track. I would also be doing trips without the trailer on rougher tracks in the Flinders ranges etc or trips like the Simpson Desert.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Graham
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 06:19

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 06:19
If you are looking at comfort and 4WD ability I just purchased the Ford Everest Ambiente. $49900 plus on road and it will tow 3T and has power to match plus highway and offroad comfort. Available in 5 seat also.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613217

Follow Up By: swampy - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 07:44

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 07:44
Hi
I have a Ford Ranger but due to the very very bad service from dealers needless to say my next purchase was a Toyota Hilux --very happy .
FollowupID: 883616

Reply By: Ozi M - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 08:51

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 08:51
I have just come back from a trip on the dust and gravel and noticed a lot more dual cab utes than before.

Mainly Toyota, Fords and some Mazdas, I have read that Tritons don't handle the dips as well as others.

Outback still heaps of Prados, I suspect the big fuel tanks are one of the reasons, lots of Land Cruisers being driven by locals.

On the Caravan forums the utes do get good reports and people do seem quite comfortable in them. You will find dedicated threads for most car brands and they discuss comfort (for the wife) and reliability (for you)

The current 2.8 Prado is having teething problems with the new model, DPF on the first one is reported as a bit of a nuisance but it has been mentioned that the new model will have a manual DPF burn button.

A DPF burn when on a grass track can be a fire risk so hopefully they do put it in.

I know a guy with and Isuzu MUX who tows and he likes it.

AnswerID: 613219

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:46

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:46
I can only talk about the Prado 150. We had one until May this year. We had it from 2010. It was a fantastic vehicle; never gave us any grief, It was used to tow our van and camper. Towing the van the fuel consumption fell more than when we towed the camper, a Vista. The fuel tank capacity was a bonus.

We used it extensively for 4WD trips, It did the Anne Beadell twice, The Hay River, Binns Track, The Victorian High Country, Oodnadatta, Birdsville, Flinders and several others. It never missed a beat and was an excellent 4WD vehicle. We did upgrade the suspension. It was automatic and the gear changing for 4WD was a breeze.

It was also a comfortable touring vehicle.

We now have a 200 Series as we have a larger and heavier van.

Di
AnswerID: 613223

Reply By: rocco2010 - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:59

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:59
I moved from an older ute (previous generation Ranger) to a 2013 Prado a year ago and there is no comparison comfort wise.

Newer utes are no doubt better but the newer wagons will be too.

I don't think there is any question a Prado is as capable in the rough as anything. Not sure about towing capacities but the 150l fuel tank is a bonus, particularly when off the beaten track.

I understand budget may be a consideration but remember a wagon comes with some things that are an extra cost on a ute, like a dust free storage area behind the seats for starters. For me that has been just about the best thing

Remember the old saying: happy wife, happy life.

God luck with whatever you choose.
AnswerID: 613224

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 14:47

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 14:47
The Prado or Hilux would be fantastic, Dmax are a good ute too. You should also consider the Toyota Forerunner which is a Hilux Wagon basically or the Isuzu MU-X. Basically all of these vehicles would be very reliable with the wagon versions being more comfortable. I really think the choice is yours the Prado would be the most comfortable and spacious
AnswerID: 613226

Reply By: braincell - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 16:19

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 16:19
agree with Mark c .Go for a wagon , just as good off road or better than a twincab .
I have a Pajero 2012 and love it .

Cheers
AnswerID: 613228

Reply By: Dean K3 - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 16:49

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 16:49
Might sound crazy but how tall are you ?

I am a larger type shape size (read over 6 foot tall) and high side of the 100kg mark. often referred to cross between giraffe beached whale and gorilla -leave gorilla bit to ones imagination

Few weeks ago I assisted with moving some ex lease back to dealer for service then sold at auction house.

I drove a manual 150 prado and had no leg room between legs and steering wheel, I honestly though it wheel was at the low position and would raise up abit -nope went lower.

Hilux - yet again manual despite a more F1 well back stance I had movement for legs when changing gears (ended up double clutching all gears) add bit more realistic head room

If I ever had to replace my current 120 prado I wouldn't consider 150 series on leg room alone, felt very awkward to drive - being manual probably didn't assist but they were my immediate assessment.

Toyota have done themselves a discredit by limiting the fuel capacity to only 150 litres in 150 series.

The 120 prado has a decent in theory 180l - I often put in 155-160 when the warning light comes on, est of 20l circulating between two tanks engine,

even the new troopie also only has one tank and around the 130l capacity which is very light on considering fuel consumption rate and distances between fuel stops I'd prefer if they had it around the 180-200 l capacity

Thankfully none of them are running adblue tanks yet another supply issue out bush apart from major towns
AnswerID: 613229

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 18:28

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 18:28
My brother has an auto '05 120 with 180L tanks, I have an auto '15 150 with 150 tank, I can go further than him on a tank full of diesel every time.

The new diesels are much more economical than the old but are also more fussy so I use 2 fuel filters to try and reduce any possible problems.

I think the extra economy comes from the fact that mine will stay in top gear when I am rolling along at 60-70k whereas he will be in 4th or even 3rd at times.

FollowupID: 883627

Follow Up By: Mikee5 - Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 14:59

Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 14:59
My son is 6'2" and over 120kg. He has no problems with entering, exiting or driving his 150 Prado.
FollowupID: 883636

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 15:46

Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 15:46
Like Mikee5, I'm about the same as his son, no problems in getting comfortable behind the wheel, 150 prado..
Mine is a 2012 model, purchased new, I looked at the hilux, but by the time you fit a canopy, it' was same price as the prado.
The prado is way more comfy, way bigger fuel capacity, constant 4x4, six speed manual, hilux was 5speed. So many more features.. not to mention more power, no brainer really.. good luck with your decision.. and enjoy which ever your wife decides on.. lol cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 883638

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Aug 23, 2017 at 18:32

Wednesday, Aug 23, 2017 at 18:32
If you can pick up a 2007 or 2008 Prado, you'll get the d4d motor as well as the 180 litre tank. That will go further than your 150 series.

FollowupID: 883658

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 17:16

Monday, Aug 21, 2017 at 17:16
If you are planning to tow, or upgrade a van in the future, take great care with your allowable towing capacity. The dual cabs are renowned for the pitfall where you can only tow the max capacity if you considerably reduce your car's payload. the car's GVM + towing capacity does NOT equal the GCM in all vehicles.
AnswerID: 613230

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 16:20

Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 16:20
Take a ride in a Hi-Lux before you decide. No comparison in ride comfort to any Prado and I doubt your wife would be happy in one. As for a dis-service with 'only' 150 litres, yes it is less than the 120 series but still miles ahead of the rest of the pack which are typically about 80 litres.
No longer have my 120 series but they were a terrific vehicle, good in town, excellent turning circle and streets ahead of any of the ute variants.
Good luck.
Ken
AnswerID: 613240

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 18:27

Tuesday, Aug 22, 2017 at 18:27
I had forgotten about the turning circle. Prado much easier to park.

And some of the new generation utes are monsters. It's only an anecdote but someone said a Ranger is as long (or longer) than a 200 series.

Cheers
FollowupID: 883642

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Aug 23, 2017 at 06:29

Wednesday, Aug 23, 2017 at 06:29
Ranger is 450 odd mm longer in the wheelbase than the 200, longer again in the body, and needs a degree in reverse parking to own.
I'd like to see a proper comparison between the top end Utes and the mid wagons. Apart from fuel capacity I don't believe there is a dimension or an output figure or a capacity where a prado keeps up with a ranger, and the ride in touring trims and weights is very similar. I am trying to like the prado as I'd like the wife to have one but it just isn't where it's price tag says it should be imho. Pajero is downright small inside in camparison with the Ford.
FollowupID: 883648

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Thursday, Aug 24, 2017 at 08:29

Thursday, Aug 24, 2017 at 08:29
Thanks all for the comments. Some more pondering to do before making a decision. One thing I will need to check is whether the drawer unit I have in the 90 series can be transplanted into a 150 series.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 613284

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Aug 25, 2017 at 13:14

Friday, Aug 25, 2017 at 13:14
One thing to consider when comparing any station waggon to any utility is the suspension.

The stationwagon is a pasenger car and as such will be softly suspended for its weight, where a utility will be stiffly suspended for its weight.

Now this has pro's and cons.

the softer suspended vehicle will be more comfortable and will have better wheel articulation.
Where the stiffer suspended vehicle will carry more payload and be a more stable towing platform.

On the matter of payload ..... remember your ball weight has to be deducted from your available payload ..... AND pretty much all of the station waggons have poor payloads to start with ..... so put 4 x 90 KG adults and 20KG bag in one and you have enough payload left for a couple of slabs of beer (If ya lucky)...... that is before you fit any accessories or hitch up a trailer.

most of the single cab utes you have 1 tonne in the tray plus 2 pasengers .... you can put half a tonne of gear inn the tray, 200kg ball load and still have plenty of payload to spare with 2 on board.

All bets are off if it's a dual cab

As for dual cabs ..... all of them are after thaughs, none of them are built on chassis specifically designed for the purpose.
The weight distribution is poor.
the rear seats are uncomfortable in many ways
AND
the trays are so small ya cant even put a long handled shovel in them without it being diagonal

worth thinking about
do the maths ..... and not just the easy stuff

cheers
AnswerID: 613306

Sponsored Links