Anne Beadell west of Point Sunday Road

We have just returned from a trip including the Maralinga tour and from there to Vokes Corner and west across the Anne Beadell. Though the corrugations are no less than in 2010, we enjoyed the desert and the remoteness.

However, we were very surprised to come upon a STOP sign and major road works just west of Point Sunday Road. There appeared to be a considerable amount of infrastructure being built which the signs indicated might be for gold mining.

From this point to Yamarna, the Anne Beadell was both very wide and very smooth, with a number of intersections. Near Yamarna there was a T junction complete with large green and white road signs: north to Great Central Road and south to Laverton. Further towards Yamarna was a very large and apparently very new airfield.

Eventually the excellent road gave way to the normal Anne Beadell, but even along this there were signs that large masts were soon to erected.

Does anyone know if these works are related to the post by Gary T7?

Thanks, Kathie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 17:30

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 17:30
There is a lot of money being spent around there on exploration and mining.

Gold!
AnswerID: 613174

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Aug 19, 2017 at 09:45

Saturday, Aug 19, 2017 at 09:45
As Rocco said its all about gold.

Just watch out for those special vehicles mining companies buy - they can do incredible speeds and carry enomous weights compared to those we mere mortals use.

I've nearly worn a few as bonnet ornaments when out that way. It puzzles me why they tend to drive so fast when they get paid the same rate even if it takes longer to get somewhere - why risk your life? Maybe its because they dont own the vehicle and cut loose.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 613181

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 09:45

Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 09:45
It's for the development of the new Gruyere gold mine by Gold Road Resources and Gold Fields. The first of the new mines in the recently discovered Yamarna belt, which I think might be along the same strike zone as the Tropicana gold mine further south (near Plumridge Lakes) and the Nova Nickel strike out near Fraser Range.
AnswerID: 613201

Reply By: Member - Don & Kathie M (TAS) - Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 10:41

Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 10:41
Thanks for the explanations.
We did not see large vehicles, but future travellers should take note of Phil's advice.
Kathie
AnswerID: 613202

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 21:10

Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 21:10
We did the AB in June. Still a fantastic trip, even if the miners have turned some sections into a gravel highway instead of a track. We found them to be friendly and generally well-behaved on the road.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 613214

Sponsored Links