Red Bluff, WA in September- Windy? Alternatives?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 23:26
ThreadID: 135415 Views:3319 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking of camping at Red Bluff in mid September for a long weekend. I've been told that the coast up that way gets extremely windy from September onwards for a couple of months. Any truth to this?
If so, does anyone have any recommendations for alternative places within around 5 hours from Perth where camping on a decent (and not too busy) beach is possible?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bellony - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 00:19

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 00:19
Oct - Feb is likely to be very windy anywhere on the WA coast. You might be lucky in Sept. We often go to Warroora & Ningaloo Stations in Sept/Oct, sometimes were lucky with the wind and others not so lucky, but were still camping and having a great time.
You do realise Red Bluff is about a 1.5 day trip which is a little different to your request for alternatives being only 5hrs away.
AnswerID: 613144

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 09:06

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 09:06
I think he may mean Red Bluff at Kalbarri. Not sure if camping is allowed there as the van park closed some year or so back.
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 883545

Follow Up By: Donlogan - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:42

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:42
Hi, yes I did mean Red Bluff at Kalbarri.

We want to camp somewhere for a long weekend, somewhere quiet, in nature, and with some exploring nearby. If the coast will be blowing a gale all over then we'll probably look at going inland, so do let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
FollowupID: 883548

Follow Up By: bellony - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 16:58

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 16:58
Ah, I did think that maybe you meant red bluff Kalbarri but seeing as there is no beach or camping area there I crossed it off.
As suggested below Murchison House Station might be a good alternative, heard good reports but never been in there.
FollowupID: 883558

Follow Up By: Donlogan - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 21:58

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 21:58
Done. Thanks!
FollowupID: 883562

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:14

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:14
The only part of the coast in southern WA that's not incredibly windy at that time of year is around Busselton, where the hook of the bay means the winds come at you from across the land instead of the sea.
But the wildflowers inland are SENSATIONAL! Find a granite outcrop with a camp site and go there for a few days to commune with nature and totally unwind.
There's dozens of likely sites to choose from, most of which are marked as places on EOTopo on this very website.
AnswerID: 613151

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 14:32

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 14:32
If its blowing along the coast at red bluff just take the track along the river heading out of town and camp along the murchasin river away from the wind
AnswerID: 613165

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 15:17

Friday, Aug 18, 2017 at 15:17
Wind Rose - Kalbarri in September 9am.

Not 100% sure if its of any use to you but here it is anyway.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 613168

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:34

Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:34
The level of wind experienced anywhere in W.A., is the luck of the draw. You get windy periods that last for months - followed by periods of calm - and you get windy years, and calmer years.

The wind in W.A. in Spring and Summer is governed by big, high-pressure systems setting up in the Bight.
During Spring and Summer, these strong anti-cyclones bring about intense pressure gradients in the coastal areas from Bunbury Northwards, in the Wheatbelt, and in the Gascoyne.
Kalbarri is situated in the Gascoyne weather zone.

September is the period of seasonal change and you can get quite calm Septembers and you can get very windy Septembers.
On average, the September wind is not too bad around Kalbarri. It's starting to pick up, but October to the end of April is when the daily wind is strong and consistent.

The wind usually picks up at sunrise and usually drops off around sunset - but occasionally, it will blow all night, if a very strong high-pressure system is setting up in the Bight.
The best you can do, is pick a sheltered spot, in a depression, behind bushes or buildings, or behind rocks if you can find some big enough.

Perth is listed as the 3rd windiest city in the world, and with most of W.A. being relatively flat or slightly undulating, wind is a fact of life in W.A.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 613206

Follow Up By: Keith B6 - Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 18:32

Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 18:32
HI Ron

I've heard Perth referred to as one of the windiest cities in the world but I can't find any evidence.
The top 10 seem to be:,
Wellington, New Zealand, Rio Gallegos, Argentina St. John's, NL, Canada Punta Arenas, Chile Casper, WY Dodge City, KS Ushuaia, Argentina Yigo, Guam.

Cheers
Keith
FollowupID: 883598

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 19:16

Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 19:16
G'day Keith - Yes, the evidence is difficult to find, because there's no "windiest city" database, measurements are not standardised, and there's a difference between regular gusts of wind, and constant-speed wind.

I have heard "Perth, 3rd windiest city" mentioned occasionally, and read it in print, many years ago - and Wikipedia has only re-inforced the opinion. I do note that Wikipedia states that Perth is, "3rd windiest Capital city".

Perth - Wikipedia

I've no doubt that many more Southern cities would rate as particularly windy, at times - however Perth, and W.A. in general, seem to have fairly consistent levels of wind.
I've lived and worked all over W.A., for more than 50 years, and I hate constant strong winds - but I've had to put up with them, for that length of time!

I've just come back from Broome, and we pulled out of Pt Samson on Thursday morning (17th August), and the wind was fairly screaming from daylight onwards - hanging around 40-45kmh, and gusting to around 60kmh.

Luckily, we were heading South, and the wind was on our rear quarter! (ENE direction).
Got to the region between Nanutarra and Minilya by mid-afternoon, and the wind had dropped off to just a modest breeze!
I was quite surprised by the wind speed change in such a relatively short distance.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 883604

Follow Up By: bellony - Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 23:13

Sunday, Aug 20, 2017 at 23:13
W.A.
Windy Always

FollowupID: 883613

Sponsored Links