Tyre Pressure Monitor - Safe T Dave

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 13:24
ThreadID: 135413 Views:3860 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Anyone out there with one of the SafeTDave TPMS units ?
What temperature have you set as a maximum ?
Have no idea myself of a safe limit
Thanks in advance
Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 15:00

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 15:00
I've got mine set to 60 degreesC from memory.

My suggestion would be to set it at something like that and vary it as you go. If you set it at 60 and the alarm goes off on all the tyres, then you may need to increase it.

If, when you're driving on a really hot day, if the temps don't get as high as 60 then it would be wise to drop them down to a number that is about 3 to 5 degrees higher than what you are experiencing on that very hot day.

Just my thoughts.

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613138

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 15:21

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 15:21
Thanks Roachie
I was thinking about that but as said wasn't really sure.
I will set at 60 & as you said see how it goes & adjust as needed
Was just looking for a starting temp.
Cheers
Paul
FollowupID: 883526

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 17:23

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 17:23
If you have or intend buying an Infrared digital laser hand held temp device, it will show the temp of tyres when you stop. Great for seeing the load on wheels different to front tyres etc. Also use it on brakes or hubs to check any diiferences.
Can be used for many items you require to know the temp of. Just point and aim laser to read.

Using one you will see any difference between what the TPMS shows and what the tread or side walls of tyres are experiencing. There may be variation between reality and temps shown on the TPMS.
AnswerID: 613140

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 18:31

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 18:31
Hi Don't expect it to be real accurate. I more wanted it to show if I have a puncture or slow leak before it destroys the tyre on my van as sometimes you might be unaware of a problem back there.
The temp is just another indicator if you see change
Thanks for your reply
FollowupID: 883532

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 19:45

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 19:45
I would have thought that the first indication of a leak either slow or fast would have been the pressure monitoring part of TPMS operation. The normal indication of tyre, brake or hub temperature increase would be more accurately reflected in the reading from one of those hand held jobbies.
Personally I stop at regular intervals and do a walk around of tow vehicle and van which includes putting the back of my hand against all the tyres and hubs. I do however realise this is not the best way of doing it so I may invest in one of those instruments. Anyone recommend a good brand??

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 883535

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 20:32

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 20:32
Hi Pop,

Certainly the essential function of a TPMS is to detect and alert to air pressure loss, slow or rapid.
And either internal or external types are equally good at this.

The internal sensing temperature function is useful at monitoring the carcase temperature when running at intentionally reduced tyre pressures. With significantly lowered pressures, such as less than 20psi, the carcase temperature rises dramatically due to tyre flexing and it is wise to monitor this and adjust speed and pressure accordingly.

Apart from employing sufficient pressure to keep a tyre sealed onto the wheel, there is no problem with running at intentional low pressure other than the inevitable temperature rise due to flexing. It is this temperature that needs to be monitored for tyre safety.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883539

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 17:53

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 17:53
I have found it difficult to obtain reliable data for tyre temperature limits. None of the tyre manufacturers seem to post such information.
Several TPMS units have a preset high temperature alarm setting of 80c.
I observe my TPMS and would become concerned if it exceeds 70c, maybe backing-off the speed a little or increasing pressure if possible. If the 80c preset alarm occurred I would be very concerned. The highest I have observed was about 65c.

My current system has internal sensors and I would believe that they are reasonably accurate on temperature. My earlier system had external sensors and I would put little faith in them reading with any sort of temperature accuracy, always reading significantly lower than the true tyre carcass temperature.
A bit like waving a thermometer in the general vicinity of a body and expecting to observe a reasonably correct reading.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 613141

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 18:35

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 18:35
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of setting between 50 & 60 deg & adjust from there as per comments so far.
For me it's more for an indication of a problem, not expecting it to be real accurate
Cheers
FollowupID: 883533

Reply By: Member - pete g1 - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 21:38

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 21:38
low 60's is a reasonable starter
varies between front /rear/speed/loads/day's temperature/which side of the vehicle is facing the sun/ head-side wind direction...if the missus is in a sh*ty or not..

You'll do your head in endeavouring to comprehend any logical correlation between pressure & temperature..yes I realise temp / pressures rise etc etc, but it's the indicated say 50psi / 30C tyre reading ..& you'll have another tyre say 58psi/20C...
entertaining pass-time when you're on the road !!!

20yrs ago I'd regularly do 600kms with a loaded cartrailer in tow, (load leveling hitch attached) Every hr or so stop & do the hand on hub & tyre check to both car & trailer, it provides a gr8 understanding of what's happening.

In today's world, I've run a Tyre-dog system for many kms on an 80 series & Merc Sprinter m/home, & by chance took the set to Melb when retrieving a camper trailer recently.
2 on the Falcon's rear axle, 2 on trailer's front axle.(tandem)

Falcon tyres inflated to 45psi cold;

100kms @ 80kph into homeward trip, high temp warning activated (51C) on Falcon's rear right, pressure nothing untoward, 48psi ?

On freeway, peak hr traffic, slowed to 70kph, feathered braking..minor temp changes..

hmmmm ?

Checked Tyredog displays, Falcon left rear readings were high but not near right indicators, trailer sensors 48psi/20C...sweet as.

more hmmmmm

Stopped. Couldn't place hand on right wheel trim, seriously ^&^$%^ hot. Never had that ever !!!

WTF is going on ?....wheel bearing..oil condition, oil level, weight...totally baffled ??

Called RACV etc etc, not going anywhere, over night in Melb.

Cause ?..handbrake....
The angle of the loaded vehicle, suspension position, etc etc, was enough to pull h/brake cable & drag the h/b shoes - heat discs etc.

Backed h/brake off 5-6 clicks.......800kms home & not a drama of any description.

oh, and the rear axle's breather was blocked, non functioning, causing oil to aerate due to increased diff oil vapour pressure.

So, tyre sensor alarm points ?....go with your gut feeling but 60C is a good starter.
Try practical testing ..hand on tyres v's checking readings.

happy travels pmk03

Dont ask why son didn't want to take load levelling hitch !!!!!!!!!!

AnswerID: 613142

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 21:51

Thursday, Aug 17, 2017 at 21:51
Have always done the hand check on hubs & tyres anyway, just a habit when we stop for a break
Was just worried about the van tyres back where I can't see them when travelling.
Thanks for the info
Cheers
FollowupID: 883541

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:38

Wednesday, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:38
I run the same TPMS system - Sidewinder brand looks the same as Safety Dave, and tyredog for many years before that. Seen temps in the mid 60's while driving the Hay Plains in 47 degree heat so I set mine at 70.
I think the temp alarms are pretty useless. But the temp measurement actually gives some info to guide your tyre pressures.
I find this system to have better temp sensing than the tyredogs - based on the fact my front tyres usually run a few degrees above ambient and the rear tyres are a few degrees more with the extra weight.
AnswerID: 613257

Sponsored Links