Arckaringa to Marla

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 26, 2017 at 20:31
ThreadID: 135304 Views:2812 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I will be visiting the Painted Desert for the Sunset/Sunrise experience mid August and arriving from Oodnadatta. The next stop after Arckaringa will be Marla and ultimately Uluru. Has anyone travelled the Painted Desert Road to the Sturt Highway recently as an alternative to going back to Oodnadatta and along the track to Marla. I am driving a Ford Ranger Wildtrak. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Coutaboat.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jul 26, 2017 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jul 26, 2017 at 20:37
Hi coutaboat

We travelled it last year and was a good easy road to drive we did pass one stock standard old Volvo that was only sitting on 60 kph. We found it very easy and safe to travel around 80 kph.

Like any outback toad, rain can drasticly effect it in hours, so keep an eye on the weather.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612720

Follow Up By: Member - coutaboat - Wednesday, Jul 26, 2017 at 21:43

Wednesday, Jul 26, 2017 at 21:43
Thanks for this. It certainly seems a quicker way to Marla.
FollowupID: 883083

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 27, 2017 at 14:40

Thursday, Jul 27, 2017 at 14:40
Hi again Coutabout

Here are a few images of what the drive is like, starting as you leave Arkaringa and head west for the Stuart Highway.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883095

Follow Up By: Member - coutaboat - Thursday, Jul 27, 2017 at 15:49

Thursday, Jul 27, 2017 at 15:49
Thanks for this above and beyond information Stephen. You have given me the confidence to use the track rather than the long way around back through Oodnadatta. A most helpful response and use of the forum.

Allan
FollowupID: 883098

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jul 27, 2017 at 17:47

Thursday, Jul 27, 2017 at 17:47
Allan

I would endorse everything Stephen has written about the track out from Arkaringa.

In addition, we found the hills around the old Copper Hill Stn very attractive country and enjoyed time exploring the old shearing shed there.

A suggestion re staying at Arkaringa. When we were there, many people just blew in for the night, went out to the Painted Hills for a relatively short time, usually mid morning and then went on their way.

Provided there is clear weather, in our experience the best time to experience the incredible colouring of these hills is as the sun sets and/or rises. We went out at both times with quite different results, as the light is quite subtle in the morning with shades of purple vis a vis the sunset with more intense reds / yellows.

Enjoy your time there
Cheers
Andrew and Jen
FollowupID: 883100

Follow Up By: Member - coutaboat - Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 11:27

Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 11:27
Thanks Andrew and Jen for your advice.

We have booked into Arkaringa for the night to catch the sunset and sunrise and hopefully get some good pictures. We will now stop at the Cooper Hill Stn, I like old shearing sheds.

Allan
FollowupID: 883107

Sponsored Links