Centre Pole Tent

Submitted: Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 17:45
ThreadID: 135297 Views:4170 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My son was given a second hand Centre Pole Tent. Don't know the brand, but by gee it is very quick to setup and amazingly quick to packup.
I have used the Coleman 'Instant Up' tent but its a bugger to fold up small enough to fit into the bag. I was not all that happy with it at a cost of I think $280 approx. 2 years ago.
Any thoughts on them?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dean K3 - Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 18:00

Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 18:00
Most likely a oztrail tourer tent - as used by many coach tour companies, they probably get them manufactured by a industrial canvas maker/sewing to their own specs.

There was a cheaper variant no longer made by primus but that becomes a swimming pool inside with minimal rain oztrail seems not to have this issue occur

Don't expect to get the sides nice and taunt per the setup instructions on youtube they will always sag. do need a few sweating/swelling in of all seams before they become water resistant.

Biggest issue I have might look tall enough to stand in but unless you stand right in middle they don't have much head room compared to the floor space, plus needed larger bag to pack away in as no way I could get it back into bag its supplied with.

AnswerID: 612696

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 18:06

Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 18:06
I personally think the tourer tents are great bang for buck, and in reality just as fast as any of the instant tents, when you consider the instant tents need for flys generally.
Tourers have the centre pole kits which add greatly to room inside.
AnswerID: 612698

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 26, 2017 at 14:42

Wednesday, Jul 26, 2017 at 14:42
Les, I think it was Austent, Anyway I find out on the weekend as I'm camping with son in the Abercrombie River NP (West of Sydney). Should be a cold one, temp forcast is 1-12 degrees
FollowupID: 883077

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 19:44

Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 19:44
Great tents and pack up much better than the Oztent and Blackwolf alternatives
And just as fast to setup
AnswerID: 612699

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 20:15

Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 20:15
Hi Alby

I have a couple of tents.

A Southern Cross 9x9 centre pole tourer, but do not use the centre pole, but the extra attachment that is similar to a coat hanger and the 2 support inner legs go either side of the inner tent and frees up the room lost by the centre pole, so you can use a double swag inside if needed.

I also have an Oztent RV4.

Seeing I have a foot in both camps.....for me the RV4 wins hands down.

The only exception is the Southern Cross does erect a lot quicker, with only 4 pegs to put in and no guy ropes to peg down. To be honest also I do not know how the tourer would stand up to real servere weather and very high winds, as I know my RV4 had been through very high, and I mean very high and 110 mm of rain overnight on Kangaroo Island and it did not leak one single drip of water.

Each to their own, but for me it is the Oztent, no questions asked.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 883048

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 20:21

Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 20:21
Stephen, the "the extra attachment that is similar to a coat hanger and the 2 support inner legs go either side of the inner tent and frees up the room lost by the centre pole" thingo is called the side pole kit :)
FollowupID: 883049

Reply By: Nacho - Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 21:43

Monday, Jul 24, 2017 at 21:43
Our original centre pole tent didn't even have the frame compared to our current one that has the in built square frame at the top.
It's big and bulky but no other tent comes close to it's intended use, quick set up touring.
AnswerID: 612703

Reply By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jul 25, 2017 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jul 25, 2017 at 09:46
We've had an Oztrail Tourer 9 for at least 10 years and although I sometimes curse the size of it folded, it's a good rain proof tent.
Couple of years ago during a sale at one of the camping stores we decided to get an RV4 (900 bucks) as they looked so quick and easy.
I built a slide on carrier out of cable tray and a roller on the back to make it easier on the body getting it up and down and off on our first trip we went.
Not a rough trip but nearly 3 weeks and the floor seam opened up in several places.
Took it back to the store and it was taken for return to maker for "investigation to check for rough usage".... but they changed it straight away for a new one without argument. Good on them.
Sold it immediately to a mate who loves it so we're sticking to the old fashioned centre pole.
Better material being proper canvas and nearly as quick to set up plus we also have the kit to do away with the pole but have never used it.
AlanTH.

AnswerID: 612704

Follow Up By: Nacho - Tuesday, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:00
Yeh we had the side pole kit but found it pointless and it's collecting dust somewhere now.
Unfortunately our zip is part stuffed and will probably buy another as to repair is priced similar.
FollowupID: 883063

Reply By: Nacho - Tuesday, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:03
Our zip is part stuffed on out Oztrail tourer and to fix would cost the same as to buy a new one.
Thought about these " instant pop up tents " but your thoughts and reviews suggest they aren't that good, will get another Oztrail tourer.
AnswerID: 612705

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 16:51

Friday, Jul 28, 2017 at 16:51
Have a look at the Malamoo 3 second tent, I have used them for many trips; there is nothing quicker to set up or take down, and they are waterproof.
I use the 3 man Malamoo as there is enough headroom to sit up without your head touching the top of the tent. I combine this with a self inflating mattress and a sleeping bag. I can be set up for bed within a few minutes of stopping.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612745

Sponsored Links