Swap battery between

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 09:50
ThreadID: 135115 Views:2968 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I'll explain the situation first.. I have a 105ah agm battery in a box on the floor behind the passenger seat, with a short lead with an Anderson plug on it.. this is plugged into a lead wired into the Anderson plug on the rear of the car, this helps to run (along with the 65ah under the bonnet) our fridge and my cpap machine when camping..
Now our boat needs a new marine starter battery, if I was to fit an Anderson plug on the engine leads (50hp Yamaha four stroke) and remove the spare battery out of the car, would it make sense to use the one battery for different jobs? The boat doesn't get used very often.. I think multi tasking a battery this way, sounds like a good idea... what are your thoughts.. think the old boat battery was a agm as well.. thanks all.. have a great day . Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:54
Hi Odog,
Few things to consider,
1.Marine batteries are constructed/manufactured in a much 'stronger' fashion than 'auto batteries'. They are designed to withstand the rough treatment they get in a marine environment (as in pounding about)....if your going to just be putting around you may get away with an standard lead/calcium battery.
2. ALSO with AGM batteries, they are not meant to be used as a cranking battery!
3. The wiring/plug on your Anderson lead are they heavy enough to carry the load/current required to start your outboard?

Cheers & beers
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612014

Reply By: pmacks - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 14:14
Hi mate

you could but why would you ? batteries are heavy and transferring them from one to place to another is a pain if you ask me. And yep marine batteries are manufactured differently and have heavier plates in them ( or so I have been told ) for me just buy a new boat battery super cheap have them for about $130.00 and it should last between 5-8 years but the trick to it is to put it on charge at least once every 2 months whether you are using your boat or not.

Peter
AnswerID: 612017

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:30

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:30
Hi Peter, yeah I've looked at various batteries, but they seem to start around the $200 mark.. the old one is about $280.. just tired of spending I guess.. looking at different ways of spreading my coin around.. ha.. cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882090

Reply By: 2517. - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:42

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:42
It took me 20 years but with Solar on van and boat when not in use I find batteries last for years.A 4 stage battery chargers would do the same job.
AnswerID: 612021

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:54
Give it a go with a 10AMP Anderson to pass starter current on the Boat motor. It can't require that much to start a 50HP outboard engine. Just have a parallel 50 amp anderson to suit the normal use in the vehicle. Simple and save$$.

OH, Cushion the battery in the boat from sudden shocks. All ok then.
AnswerID: 612022

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 23:18

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 23:18
yes marine batteries are constructed differently to normal car batteries .... they have heavier plates and those plates are wrapped in glass mat.
The sealed maintenence free versions have calcium and other metals added to the plate material and a modified electrolite ........ they emply the very same technologies that AGM has but in a flooded battery ....... for many applcations they may be more appropriate than AGM.

SOME and only some AGM batteries are not designed for cranking ...... this has not a thing to do with them being AGM ..... there are AGM batteries that are specifically designed for cranking or will to some degree tolerate cranking ...... this is due to design factors other than being AGM ...... check the specifications on any battery before you buy.

Cranking currents on outboards are quite small particularly two strokes ..... I can hand start both my 30Hp merc and my 60Hp Evenrude .... my 30Hp merc is easier to hand start than my ride on mower...... the fourstrokes may require more cranking amps ...... but nothing a 50 amp Anderson should be concerned about unless it is up in the 90Hp+ range ...... Anderson connectors will handle twice the rated current for short periods.

I am more concerned about this battery behind the seat ........ two matters of concern
1 and above all else ..... batteries are very heavy and if they come free during an accident or a rollover they can be a very deadly missile.
When I say it should be well secured I mean a minimum of 2 x 50mm x 5mm straps longer than the battery welded to the underside of the floor and at least two rods 1/2 inch diameter and preferably a full top frame on the battery.

a battery that comes free will easily smash you skull before it smashes its way out of the vehicle.

2 regardless of the type of battery ventilation is always an issue ...... all batteries will at some time fail ..... will it leak, will it vent explosive gasses and vent acid mist, will it burn or explode

A battery behind a seat inside the pasenger compartment is not a good idea

think about it cheers
AnswerID: 612027

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 23:20

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 23:20
OH if you have abattery inside the passenger compartment it should most definitely be AGM
FollowupID: 882096

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:03

Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:03
Land Rovers have the battery under the seat!
FollowupID: 882098

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:34

Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:34
A lot of euro vehicles have had then inside for a very long time, but they are specially designed with vent tubes leading outside.

I have seen these replaced with cheaper conventional vented batteries and the damage it can cause is disastrous, as stated before, usually when the battery is beginning to fail with age and lack of service.
FollowupID: 882099

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:23

Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:23
Land rover had the battery under the seat ..YES ..... but it was not inside the passenger compartment ..... the battery was actually under the vehicle in open air with an access under the seat.

look past the battery you can see the ground under the vehicle.

Mitsubishi vans and some hiluxes had battery access from inside the vehicle but the battery was under the vehicle in open air.

VW sedans ( beatles and fastbacks) had the battery under the rear seat .... yes ..... it was common for the rear seat springs and frame to corrode from the acid fumes and lots of VWs burned from battery shorts and faults.

Very few vehicles actually had the battery inside the passenger compartment.

Quite a few vehicles had the battery in the boot ..... yes ... that does not make it a good idea or a wise choice.

Lots of vehicles in the 60's had the fuel tank in the boot rather than under the car .... with the only separation being a piece of masonite and the rear seat cushion.
..... I doubt that you will find that in a modern car

Lots of older cars burned very easily and very well ...... and forn what some people would call "freak accidents" ...... reasons that actually where quite to be expected.

Batteries in the passenger compartment are a bad idea ....... probable causes of death if not adequaitely secured and housed.

cheers
FollowupID: 882101

Sponsored Links