sign - do not overrtake turning vehicle

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 16:08
ThreadID: 135100 Views:5332 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Read on Dept Trans & Planning WA if vehicle and van over 7.5mt "do not overtake turning vehicle" sign should be displayed.

Not to be shown if under.

Thoughts and info please

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 16:32

Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 16:32
It's all here. Google.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611959

Reply By: Member - gonefish - Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 19:00

Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 19:00
Thanks Jack, that was the pdf we had read, good that you had the same as us.
Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 611960

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 20:45

Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 20:45
It's not compulsory to display a "do not overtake turning vehicle" sign on your car and caravan if it's over 7.5M long - but if you do display it, the sign gives you the right to straddle lanes when turning left at sharp-cornered intersections.

It is compulsory for trucks over 12 tonnes GVM to have the sign.

There are two problems with a long trailer or van. One is, you can run over the kerb (and in consequence, pedestrians standing on the corner!) if you stick completely to the left lane when turning.

Two, a long overhang on a big van or long trailer will swing out when you corner sharply - and will thereby likely come into contact (sideswipe) vehicles parked or travelling in the adjacent (inside) lane.

I once owned a 32' (10M) tri-axle beavertail trailer (which had been built on a 40 foot Viscount 'van, transport chassis). This trailer had a lot of overhang behind the rearmost axle (about 3M).

I hired the trailer to a bloke with a 5 tonne truck and a couple of weeks later I got an official notice stating my trailer had been involved in an accident, and why had I not reported it?

Upon enquiring, it turned out my hirer had swung sharply when turning at an intersection, and the rear end of the trailer had swung out and opened up the side of a car that was stopped in the adjacent lane!

The truckie hadn't noticed and didn't stop, and the car driver reported it as a hit and run!

I threw the ball back into the truckies court and let him deal with it! After all, it was his driving that caused the accident!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 611964

Reply By: Member - gonefish - Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 21:10

Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 21:10
Thanks for that, saw a couple of caravans with the written signage, and had heard that they were being checked over East. For $7 on ebay, probably spend and then not have to worry when we travel.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 611966

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 22:05

Saturday, Jun 17, 2017 at 22:05
If you read the brochure, which may be in the links given so far, they have to have specific wording on them and made of the correct reflective materials. Most on eBay do not. I did purchase ours through a truck store on eBay, and they were the correct ones.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 882009

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:20

Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:20
Yes, MH is spot on. There's a lot of cheap Chinese lighting and signage junk on eBay that does not meet Australian Standards, and in particular, Australian vehicle standards.

Lighting and reflective materials need to meet ADR or UN (CE) regulations, and be marked accordingly.

Lighting and reflective materials, and their location, colour, angle, and height positioning are covered under ADR 13/00. Rear marker plates fall under "Conspicuity Markings".

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2009C00579

Below is an advisory for heavy vehicle owner/operators that covers conspicuity markings.
Note that individual State/Territory regulations can vary, as regards conspicuity markers.

https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201612-0447-vsg11-additional-reflectors-and-conspicuity-markings.pdf

Whilst car and caravan combinations are not specifically included in the requirements for conspicuity markings, I see no reason why you should not ensure your large rig is made especially visible to other road users, particularly in low light/foggy/rain conditions.

The rectangular red and yellow reflective rear marker plates are designed with that specific red and yellow pattern to enable other drivers gaining rapidly on slower vehicles in poor light, to discern a red and yellow pattern that is initially one pattern in the drivers vision - which then becomes the two distinct patterns, as they get much closer to the slow-moving vehicle - to try and avoid serious, high-speed, rear-end collisions.
FollowupID: 882016

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 23:33

Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 23:33
All DNOTs must also have the manufacturers name printed.
FollowupID: 882035

Follow Up By: Michael 1954 - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 18:40

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 18:40
I bought two from here and arrived in quick time.

http://rvtowingsolutions.com.au/products/do-not-overtake-turning-vehicle-sticker-2.

I have NO affiliation with RV towing.
FollowupID: 882488

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 18:47

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 18:47
Mine, as pictured above, were purchased from Twin City Truck Centre. Favourable price and quick delivery, as I was late in ordering them before we went away.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882489

Reply By: AlanTH - Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 09:04

Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 09:04
I drove buses in Perth for a few years and it doesn't matter how many signs you have on the back, or how clear an indication of intent you give, loonies will still try and creep up on the left to get in front of you.
I've been abused many times for straddling and told to stay in one lane by morons in buzz boxes.
I won't bother putting them on the van as I doubt even see them.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 611969

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:26

Sunday, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:26
Yes, Alan, if one has driven trucks in the cities, one rapidly comes to understand that a large number of car drivers have little understanding when it comes to large vehicles requirements for turning room and braking distance, and many car drivers have an impatient, "Me! Me! Me first!" attitude to road use.

I have actually seen a car driver try to race past the inside of a semi-trailer turning into an industrial premises driveway, when the front of the prime mover was almost on the driveway entrance!
The result was pretty predictable - the car driver was forced up on the verge and collided with a pole and the premises perimeter fence!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 882017

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 22:04
IF you do not fit the signs, then it is illegal for you to straddle lanes and such.

People may not take any notice of the signs ...... BUT having them fitted put you in a better legal situation about what you can do and the responsibilities of other motorists.

It realy is a no brainer .... there is no down side to having the correct signage fitted.

cheers
FollowupID: 882078

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 19, 2017 at 00:06

Monday, Jun 19, 2017 at 00:06
If you don't have the signs and someone collides with your when you need to straddle the line when turning, you are at fault. If you have the signs and he just didn't read and heed them, then it is his problem.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 611982

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Jun 19, 2017 at 09:22

Monday, Jun 19, 2017 at 09:22
That's understood MH but as I said no amount of signs nor indications get through some people skulls.
I don't tow a large van so have no need for them or have to straddle very often.
If having a sign (even if it's ignored like most signs) helps exonerate you the driver from blame, that's good.
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 882038

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:50

Monday, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:50
Just like car drivers who think a road train can stop in a couple of metres Alan.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882040

Reply By: Michael 1954 - Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 18:38

Sunday, Jul 02, 2017 at 18:38
I bought two from here.
http://rvtowingsolutions.com.au/products/do-not-overtake-turning-vehicle-sticker-2

arrived in just under a week

AnswerID: 612286

Sponsored Links