Eco Tourer GVM

Submitted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 08:24
ThreadID: 134957 Views:3730 Replies:1 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Can anyone definitively give me the GVM or carrying capacity for the off-road version of an Eco Tourer (with shower and toilet)?

Many thanks, Deejay.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 09:01

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 09:01
If you're thinking of buying one it's recommended that you get tare and gross figures in writing from the manufacturer for the spec you've stipulated.

DO NOT believe the advertising.
AnswerID: 611463

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:41

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:41
Sigmund

If the figures are included on or in the advertising material, that will suffice.

I have used such material in a claim against a manufacturer. They were made to make good the item to reflect the advertised specifications.

So perhaps the advise that should be given is - check the specifications of the item are as advertised.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 881498

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:52

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:52
Yes, but it's a lot less hassle to avoid that kind of cock-up in the first place, so as to avoid for example a GTM that your vehicle can't legally tow.

And the only way of doing that is to have in writing the figures for the specific trailer configuration you're looking at buying.
FollowupID: 881499

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 12:08

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 12:08
It's ATM, not GTM that limits what a vehicle can tow.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881500

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 13:02

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 13:02
If you want to be picky he has to have totalled the GCM before he can know he can legally tow a given trailer.

The issue is the same. Too many people believe the figure on the compliance plate or the advertising and don't get what they're paying for.
FollowupID: 881503

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 15:46

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 15:46
The figures should be written in the advertising, on the license papers and on the compliance plate and they should match.

How many more times does it need to be written?

If they don't match ask the question why!

If the dealer can't answer/justify why there is a difference would you believe them if the wrote it on their letterhead or in an email?

Why would you not believe the figures on your compliance plate? This is the figure the police/transport inspectors would be arguing against in court.

I don't understand why you would say - " too many people believe the figure on the compliance plate or the advertising and don't get what they're paying for." Why would you not believe it. The whole concept behind the compliance plate is to inform owners of the specifications.

Do you disregard the compliance plate on your 4WD or family sedan and have it reweighed or is it something that only applies to vans and trailers?

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 881506

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 16:07

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 16:07
QUOTE..I don't understand why you would say - " too many people believe the figure on the compliance plate or the advertising and don't get what they're paying for." Why would you not believe it. The whole concept behind the compliance plate is to inform owners of the specifications.

It is common knowledge that most vans and campers weigh a lot more than what is written on the compliance plate. The caravan industry is an unregulated industry and with all the custom builds, modifications and additions customers put on their vans you will never know the true weight until after it is finished and you then weigh it. This subject has been done to death on the net and anyone who believes that everything on their vans compliance plate is correct probably believes in fairies as well. Your vehicle is in a highly regulated industry. Your van is not. Many people have bought a van believing that what is on the plate is correct only to discover that when put on a weighbridge it is often illegal to tow.
FollowupID: 881507

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 16:48

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 16:48
BigFish

You are correct - it has been done to death.

You are also correct - a lot of vans/trailers weigh a lot more than what is on the compliance plate. Probably due to additions, customisation and mods by previous owners.

Again my point is - if the dealer can't explain or justify the difference between compliance plate and actuals why would you believe a written guarantee - which was the point I was questioning by Sigmund!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 881508

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 17:42

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 17:42
Sigmund said

"If you want to be picky he has to have totalled the GCM before he can know he can legally tow a given trailer."

I wasn't being picky.

If someone based towing limitation on GTM, then consider a GTM of 2500. A 120 Series Prado can tow 2500. But a trailer with a GTM of 2500 may have an ATM of 2750 (GTM plus typical towball weight). No longer legally towable by that Prado. That's not picky, that's the law.

I agree with you re how GCM fits into the picture, and it's not picky to consider that - it's compulsory.

So many people just don't understand this subject, yet it's really quite simple:

- the trailer cannot be over ATM
- the trailer cannot be over GTM
- add the trailer actual loaded weight on the wheels (even if it's below GTM) plus the actual towball weight and tug actual loaded weight (even if it's below the GVM). The total cannot be over the tug's GCM
- the towball weight cannot exceed the tug/towbar maximum
- the weight on the tug's rear axle (or front for that matter) must not exceed the tug manufacturer's or certified GVM upgrade specifications

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881509

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 20:14

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 20:14
Quote.."You are also correct - a lot of vans/trailers weigh a lot more than what is on the compliance plate. Probably due to additions, customisation and mods by previous owners."..

Its not only second hand vans..most new vans are way out with what is on a compliance plate. Most manufacturers make a model, say ABC1, and weigh it. Problem is the model ABC1 can get modified, made larger or have extras now included as standar, and the same compliance plate is used!. The industry is a joke. Every van should be weighed as an indivual unit when it is ready for registration and again when being sold.
FollowupID: 881519

Follow Up By: Deejay - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 20:26

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 20:26
I wish I hadn't asked .......
FollowupID: 881520

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 21:12

Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 21:12
Yes, we've diverged.

To answer your original question...

No, I can't.

But if you get the tare and the ATM from the manufacturer or dealer, the difference between the two is what it can carry.

A common scam by manufacturers and dealers is to declare a tare of an unreasonably bare shell. By the time you add a reasonable fitout, the new "tare", ie empty weight, is unreasonably close to ATM, so you have no capacity to load it with food, water, clothing, bedding, etc.

So ask them hard questions.

Hope this helps
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 881521

Follow Up By: Member - J&A&KK - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 01:17

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 01:17
Frank.

Excellent advice for anyone considering buying a van.

I was appalled to find the loaded weight of my Kimberley Karavan was only 50kg less than ATM. After weighing everything I had loaded into the van I discovered about 150kg was missing from the Tare. It was purchased new and built up from a standard specification with factory additions which were obviously not included in the Tare stamped on the compliance plate. Bloody nonsense in my view.

The weight of every component of a new van must be known by the manufacturer. So if a buyer is ordering a new van, and adding optional components, the Tare of the final product should be obvious and stated by the manufacturer.

In my case I would have probably still purchased the van but it's weight would definitely have probably changed the tug purchase decision.

Cheers John
FollowupID: 881524

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 09:04

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 09:04
Any purchase of a camper or van should have a weighbridge tare attached. After it's built, complete and the only thing missing being gas and water in the tanks.
If enough people insisted on it, it MAY become the norm and they would all start doing it.
As for the OP's original question, you may have to do more googling and try and find an owner who has weighed his and then you may have a rough idea.
FollowupID: 881525

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 09:36

Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 09:36
Finally , some decent answers. Most of the earlier discussion is pretty hard to make any thing out of.
FollowupID: 881526

Sponsored Links