WATER PUMP for caravan

Submitted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 18:02
ThreadID: 134915 Views:4945 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am wanting to put a pump in the caravan for shower and sink. (one at a time ie shower or tap)
What flow rate in l/m would everyone recommend?
What are the smaller water heaters like the joolca for example like at providing enough hot water for a shower.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 19:11

Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 19:11
Most caravans get a 11.3 L/min pump because they have multiple outlets. Camper trailers often get a smaller 4.3 L/min pump. Both will work fine for a shower. Worth getting one which is self priming and has a pressure cutoff switch. And when you're wiring it up, include a switch in the circuit as its best to turn it off when not being used. Also use some flexible hose on the outlet side to keep the noise down and smooth the flow. It will probably tell you this in the instructions.
AnswerID: 611278

Follow Up By: Jon O1 - Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 19:39

Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 19:39
OK thanks for that. would the 11.3 l/m provide enough water for a good comfy shower if connected to good water supply and not worrying about conserving water as such?

jon
FollowupID: 881298

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 19:53

Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 19:53
We have an 11.3L in our caravan and shower works fine. They usually have a water restrictor in the shower line to reduce the flow. It is more than adequate for your needs. It has a built in bypass to reduce flow at higher pressures.

We also have a 4.3L pump in our TVan but don't use it for showers but flow is very good, so I think either would suit your needs.

We have also used small bilge pumps for showers, but they are a high flow, low pressure pump so less suitable for showers.
FollowupID: 881300

Reply By: Jon O1 - Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 20:36

Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 20:36
What brand do you guys have. Im looking at the shurflo 4009 I think it is.
AnswerID: 611288

Follow Up By: PhilD - Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 21:41

Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 21:41
I use Jabsco pumps on both my Kimberley and Iveco motorhome....4 in total! Another one in my boat. That's what I think about the brands available.
FollowupID: 881310

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 22, 2017 at 06:33

Monday, May 22, 2017 at 06:33
If you visit the Whitworths site here, they have a large range of pumps and accessories that you can choose from, or just use as a guide to purchase elsewhere.

Found their service to be prompt with no dramas. No affiliation etc.....

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881312

Reply By: Dean K3 - Monday, May 22, 2017 at 19:41

Monday, May 22, 2017 at 19:41
folks camper has shurflo 4009 (number like that fitted) I found it burns out microswitch very easily if its left on all the time, and by this I mean turn the toggle switch on and off after every single use.

2nd unit we may have been lucky to get one year use out of it, and typically it was me who had it fail upon, i even posted about this issue back sept whilst out meekatharra way.

The solution to this issue is to use relay - so far after this installation water pump hasn't failed, apart from when camper was on about a 10 degree angle for couple of night back on level it worked OK again .Attached hopefully images of wiring diagram and install pic (PDF FILE) supplied to me by knowledgeable bloke in Geraldton after discussing the issues

gas powered water heater like joolca is way better than using a 10l electric heater and i think they even have its own 11lpm water pump supplied between source and heater unit.
AnswerID: 611312

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 15:44

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 15:44
Here is a good article on pumps - Pumps, Accumulators and Filters Explained - If you click on the blue "See All Articles" at the top of the page you will get plenty of other van/camper articles including more on plumbing.

From that article you will see that, providing you can guarantee your wife will not rob your shower water, a 4 litre/minute pump will suit OK. It will not cycle whilst you are showering and the water flow will be constant.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 611339

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 15:40

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 15:40
I went for the Jabasco sensor max in our unit.

Good points:

Can deliver 14Ltr per minute.
Self priming to 2.4M (good for pumping from streams)
Has variable flow rate so you don't need an accumulator with them.
No on/off pulsing that some pumps do.
Very quite

Down side:
They are rather large and not cheap.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 611378

Sponsored Links