2 Weeks in July- Perth to Kimberley?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 19:14
ThreadID: 134721 Views:2499 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we have 2 weeks that we want to go away camping for in July.
Being winter, we'll want to go far north (we're in Perth). I'd love to get to the Kimberley, but obviously don't have enough time to drive there and back and have time there. Has anyone had experience with transporting a car (4x4) to a destination, using it, then transporting it back?
I realise that this probably isn't feasible for a two week trip and is probably prohibitively expensive but was considering transporting the car to Broome for example and then flying each way (or just one way) to save on time.

Failing that, any other recommendations for a two week camping trip from Perth in July?
Anyway, feel free to call me a tw*t...
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 19:49

Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 19:49
Why not hire a vehicle in Broome and drop it off in Kununurra? Many international tourists do just that. We met a Dutch family at the Mornington Wilderness Camp who'd hired a Prado and camper trailer.

cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 610515

Follow Up By: Donlogan - Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 20:00

Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 20:00
Yes, that's a consideration too. To be honest I did think that both of these options would be expensive but will look into it.

Thanks
FollowupID: 880431

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 20:18

Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 20:18
2 weeks to the Kimberey - long way to go in such a short time. Cost to transport your vehicle is quite expensive.

What about a 2 week trip through the Pilbara?

It is do able, but you will only see the high lights. Up the inland road and camp in Karijini for a few days and do the gorges, into Tom Price, Paraburdoo out to Mill Stream an Panawonica and then back down the coast road via Carnavon, Geraldton.

Another trip (not as long, but you can stay longer in some spots) is the Golden Quest Discovery Trail (good guide book available and good website). This one takes in all the old gold mining towns. Camp at Lake Ballard for a night or two - it is beautiful during the day but stunning at night. Kalgoorlie is good for a lazy few days as well. I am planning on doing this trip later in the year and will spend a good 10 to 12 days on it. There is so much to see and do on the trail you will probably run out of time.

Just another couple of thoughts for you.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 610517

Follow Up By: Donlogan - Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 20:30

Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 20:30
Great advice, thanks. Will start looking into both of those....
FollowupID: 880433

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 22:19

Monday, Apr 24, 2017 at 22:19
Most car carrying firms won't carry your vehicle if it has any personal items in it.

Makes the other suggestions very doable.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 880434

Follow Up By: Member - John M50 - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 05:54

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017 at 05:54
The Pilbara will be perfect. Wife and I did it last year in July, weather was perfect. We started in Newman, Weeli Wolli camps site, Kalgans Pool camp site, went to Marble Bar and camped at Copin Gap, then to Corunna Downs WW2 Airforce Base, then onto Carawine gorge for a night, Karlamilyi NP, 2 nights in Desert Queen baths, a night on Fortesque River. We did 4,000kms in 12 days great trip.

Also some great camping around Mt Magnet, there is Dalgaranga Meteor crater, Walga rock, Big Bell deserted Town and Gold Mine, Pub is still standing but not serving cold beer anymore.

Pilbara will be great. go for it
FollowupID: 880441

Follow Up By: Donlogan - Sunday, Apr 30, 2017 at 15:10

Sunday, Apr 30, 2017 at 15:10
Sounds great mate, thanks. How were the camp grounds in terms of busyness? I've read a lot of reports of camp grounds being teeming with people at this time of year plus tour buses full of backpackers, etc.
FollowupID: 880641

Follow Up By: Member - John M50 - Sunday, Apr 30, 2017 at 17:15

Sunday, Apr 30, 2017 at 17:15
The only people at the camp sites I mentioned were the people with us on the tag along tour. Desert Queen Baths was pretty full, but only for the first night we were there, the second night was all to ourselves.
FollowupID: 880646

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Friday, May 05, 2017 at 12:41

Friday, May 05, 2017 at 12:41
Backpackers generally just stick to major routes, or where they maybe lucky to find work, at cost of a australian resident -call me cynical on that one.

2 weeks kimberly -forget it pilbara far more doable even then depending on how you travel and rest etc that even pushing it in my perspective, how far i travel all depends on road conditions, not set to a time frame or destination target.

FollowupID: 880804

Sponsored Links