Farina

Saturday, Nov 09, 2019 at 16:28

Member - 2208mate

Located about 600 kilometres north of Adelaide, the tiny dusty town used to be a bustling railway hub.
Railway made its way to Farina in 1882 and from then on, stock was transhipped to the southern areas of the country and supplies were delivered to outlying stations in the north.
Originally called The Gums or Government Gums, Farina was settled in 1878 by optimistic farmers hoping that rain follows the plough. The town was the rail head for a time until 1884 before the railway was extended to Marree. During the wet years of the 1880s, plans were laid out for a town with 432 ¼-acre blocks. It was believed that it would be good for growing wheat and barley, however normal rainfall is nowhere near enough to grow these crops. Several silver and copper mines were dug in the surrounding area.
Farina grew to reach a peak population of approximately 600 in the late 1800s. In its heyday, the town had two hotels (the Transcontinental and the Exchange) and an underground bakery, a bank, two breweries, a general store, an Anglican church, five blacksmiths, a school and a brothel. In 1909, 1,143 kilograms (2,520 lb) iron meteorite was discovered north-east of the town.
Today nothing but stone ruins and the elevated railway water tank remain of the township. The post office closed in the 1960s and the railway line closed in the 1980s.
The town is no longer inhabited, with the closest residents now living at Farina station, visible to the west of the town. A bush camping area is maintained by the owners of Farina station.
In 2008 The Farina Restoration Group was formed, and annually since, the volunteers have spent up to 8 weeks in May/June continuing the restorative work.

Tags

BlogID: 7649
Views: 418

Comments & Reviews

Post a Comment
You must be registered and logged in to post here.



Registration is free and takes only seconds to complete!
Loading...
Blog Index

Popular Content

Popular Products (13)