Outback trip April 2015

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2015 at 14:10

Member - istefg

Leaving Alexandra Hills Queensland, direction Texas, QLD, then Bourke (NSW), Cameron Corner, the Strzeleki, Dalhousie Springs, Chambers Pillar, Alice Springs, Boggy Hole to Curtin Springs, the APY lands, Marta, The Painted desert, Coober Pedy, Lake Eyre, Lake Frome, Broken Hills, Bourke and back to Brisbane.
Will try to update whenever I have access to Internet.
Travelling on a BMW 1200 GS Adventure with 2 friends in a Renault Koleos 4wd.


Ready to go


Texas via Cunningham gap.
Rain at the gap, pleasant ride after that. Texas is the "official" bike friendly town. Very quiet on Easter Friday.
Nice place to eat is Mezzie's.


Texas to Walgett, rain most of the way, happy to get off the bike. The last 100km were in the dry, even saw some rays of sunshine, tomorrow will be fine. Saw a lot of dead kangaroos, a couple of live ones and a pair of emus, had to hit the brakes for a cow crossing the road.


The landscape changes rapidly, more dry. I see a lot more wildlife and my first emus, judging by the number of dead kangaroos on the road, riding late in the day is probably not a good idea. I arrive in Bourke in the afternoon, the town is surprisingly green, aboriginal kids roam the streets on their push-bikes and a large group play in the skate park.
I set-up my tent on the lush green lawn of the Mitchell caravan park and spend the rest of the day lazing around.


My travelling companions won't be here until tomorrow, so I just spend the day visiting the town on foot. The Darling river has a lot of water, it apparently only ran dry once in the 1950s but it was caused by the extensive farming of cotton in the area.
Passed a small group of young aboriginals, a cute little girl looks intensively at me and says "you're ugly " very funny.


Got up early and went to Outback Tyres to have my off-road knobbies fitted, the mechanic had only ever done 2 bikes and the bmw was a bit tricky, it took him a good hour to do the job, so I was surprised to be only charged $50. Dick and Bron finally arrived after lunch and suggested to drive south to Gundabooka national park for the first night. The road is a little bit corrugated but with the new tyres, the bike feels great even @ 100kmh. We stop at the "dry tank" camp site. Before sunset we do the short walk to "little Mountain" nice view unfortunately clouds interfered with the sunset so we went back to the camp and enjoy our first night away from civilisation. Bron cooked some nice kangaroo meat.


After a good night we set off to visit some cave paintings and do a short walk, I love being in this country it feels like time has stopped or at least has become irrelevant.
Before we hit the road I turn on my Sony action cam fitted on the side of my helmet and soon after I spot an emu crossing the road 50m ahead, I turn my head to follow his move and when I look back at the road his friend is right there in front of me, luckily he makes a quick turn and we avoid collecting each other.
Back at Bourke for lunch and fuel and we set off towards Wanaaring. The road is bad with lots of corrugations and sand. I almost loose the bike doing 75kmh so decide to slow down to 40-60kmh. I drop the bike a couple of times in soft sand it's heavy with all the luggage and requires a big effort to pick-up. Dick & Bron are behind and I don't know how far so each time I put the bike back on its wheels by myself. They eventually catch-up in a very slow portion. I let them go ahead to set-up camp, it's getting late in the afternoon and the sun is right in our eyes.
With only 20km left to go, I fall again and when
Itry to lift the bike I ear a dreadful tearing sound and feel a sharp pain in my right calf. No one around so leaping on 1 leg, I remove all the luggage and then manage to get the bike up.
At that moment a local farmer arrives in a Ute, he offers to give me a lift to Wanaaring, we park the bike in front of a station just 200m away, I hadn't noticed it but there's no one there anyway.
In Wanaaring I catch-up with my friends and we decide to show my leg to the nurse from the flying doctor service.
With a leg all bandaged and some pain killers I eventually crash in my tent, we will see what tomorrow brings.


Slept well thanks to pain killers and a good serve of scotch, the leg is painful but I am eager to recover my bike, Dick gives me a lift back to the station, I can hardly walk but when sitting on the bike it feels ok. I ride the 20km back to camp very slowly and very tensed. We pack up and set off for Tibooburra 240km away , I am so nervous and can't relax which makes riding difficult, luckily the road improves and after 15-20 km I am back enjoying myself, speed picks up and I am cruising at 50-60kmh. Then comes my first sand dune I stop for some photos and ride on, happy again. Wildlife abounds, kangaroos, emus and the occasional cow on the track. The scenery is great, mid afternoon we enter the Sturt Stony desert national park, as it's name implies it's full of rocks including on the track, this suits me better than soft sand and I quickly catch up my friends in the 4wd. It's nearly 4:00pm when we roll into Tibooburra, all I want is a cold beer and a shower in that order, so I go straight to the pub for a chat with the bar tender, a young lady from Ireland, he first went to Brisbane, found it too crowded so got a job in the outback, it certainly is less crowded here.
Bron finds me at the pub and tells me they'd like to camp at Olives Downs, 50km north, there goes my shower.
I take off before them and get there in 45 minutes, no one will make me move again. My leg is sore but only when I need to walk which is a good thing as I only want to ride.
Nice camp at Olives, we are at the start of the middle road leading to Cameron Corner, the grader is on the track, tomorrow will be great


I am up before dawn, my leg is hurting and I find it difficult to walk 100m to the toilet block.
After breakfast I ride slowly the 2km to the Jump up lookout, great views over the surrounding planes.
Off on the middle road I pass the grader, this is probably great for cars but the bike cannot find a line in this freshly turned mess of dirt, rocks and sand. I let my friends go ahead in the car and I ride in the ruts they create this is a lot better.
Riding over a wide clearing with hardly any vegetation I find myself surrounded by a large mob of kangaroos who seem to be racing with me, I have to keep concentration as a few decide to cut in front of me, nice feeling. The ride into Cameron Corner is great both in terms of scenery and riding.
At the corner we spend some time for a beer and some fuel then we head off for Merty Merty. The road is hard clay with very little corrugation and I enjoy the roller-coaster of big sand dunes, some have soft sand on or around the top but by now I have learnt to recognise the signs of soft sand and bulldust.
Late that afternoon I arrive at Merty Merty where there is nothing not even my friends, I checked on my mobile gps that I am in the right place, spot on. I decide to go on and rejoin the Strzeleki track and that's where I found them, tonight is going to be bush camping.


When Dick told me a few weeks ago that we will travel the Strzeleki track, I was both exited and worried, I had always heard that it's a tough one. So I decided to start early to give myself plenty of time, I was on the road @ 7:30. The track is very wide and very corrugated but because a lot of road trains use it, the wheel ruts are wide and very easy to follow, I am travelling easily @ 70-80kmh,I found later that my travelling budies were struggling to do 40 in the car.
After a couple of hours I stop for a drink and photos, not wanting to leave the bike on the road because of the number of trucks, I moved just a few metres away, when restarting I turn behind a small bush, the hard surface brakes and the rear wheel sinks, what an idiot. I first tried to dig it out but eventually a car stops and the driver gets me out of there.
I made another stop at the Montecollina bore where Dick and Bron rejoin, the water comes out of the ground at 60° and runs in a nice little lake where it's much cooler, we can't resist the temptation and in we go, what a delight to be in cool water in the middle of a desert, we end up spending an hour there.
The rest of the Strzeleki is much the same I just need to keep an eye out for bulldust holes. I arrive in Lyndhurst 1h ahead of the car so I got to spend plenty of time chatting with the locals at the pub. When Dick and Bron arrive we decide to go on to Farina where there's a nice camp ground, I get there just on time for the sunset over the ruins of the old town.


Farina was a thriving little town when the "Ghan" used to stop here, it had a school, a police station and a couple of hotels, when the narrow gage train was replaced, the new line was built away from Farina, the town was subsequently abandoned it's last resident left in the 1960s. We spend a bit of time in the ruins and then we head off on the Oodnadatta track, this is the best one so far, just a bit of corrugation and the occasional soft sand or bulldust mostly around dips. I stop when I see another bike coming the other way, Matthew has come all the way from Holland on his GS650,he looks a bit battered and his bike is held together with tape, he tells me that he has crashed a couple of times hitting soft sand, I feel sorry for him he is riding on dual purpose tyres, not ideal in sand. We talked for a while and he is off for Port Augusta, I continue North to the South Lake Eyre lookout, what a site, the salt plane makes it look like it is full of water but that's just an illusion, apparently North Lake Eyre still has some water in the centre.
We stop for the night in Coward Springs, nice caravan park with a spa getting its hot water straight from the artesian bassinet, sheer luxury after all that dust.


Next day I ride to William Creek, the track is still good but with more loose gravel, a couple of big wobbles remind me that I need to stay alert and look at the road or slow right down and look at the spectacular scenery.
I reach William Creek at lunch time, the car is behind somewhere, so I take the time to enjoy one of my favourite occupation, a chat with the locals and a beer. In fact the locals are 2 German girls working at the roadhouse, long way from Stuttgart.
After the car arrives we continue on and make a detour to see the ruins of Peake, an old repeat station when the telegraph was the only way to communicate with Europe. There are 6 buildings in that very remote place it's amazing to think that so many people were needed and here we are now less than a hundred years later and Dick calls the office in Sydney on his sat phone.
The detour is very rough but good on the bike, a lot of fun except when I try to park it, I loose balance and lean to the right, my injured leg cannot take that weight and down we go, Dick first reaction is to get his camera as you do, no everyone can have a laugh.
Tonight we stop at Oodnadatta and it's dinner at the pub, beer and a large Tbone.


It was a good start from Oodnadatta to Hamilton station, the best dirt road by far, shortly after the station we turn into the Pedirka track, the first 10km are full of rocks and wash outs, the going is very slow especially
when I need to cross sandy creek beds, I got bogged a few times which means remove the panniers, carry them across and then push the bike, it's hot and I get tired.
We get together for our now traditional morning coffee under a shady tree. Then I leave before the car and shortly after I arrive at the crossing of the Hamilton creek, a long stretch of very deep, very soft sand, I get bogged again, this time Dick and Bron are here to help, pushing, pulling and even towing we get through but it has taken almost an hour, I am exhausted and need a rest. I told them to go ahead and set up camp at Dalhousie I will take is easy from here and if they carry my panniers I should be right. I didn't know that I would have to cross the creek again and this time even without panniers the task turned out impossible, after trying to push and dig out the bike in 39° heat, I am starting to get dizzy, no good so I leave the bike in the middle of the track and lay under a tree waiting for someone to come, either Dick or another car.
John and Dez had been driving their 2 cars from Sydney, they are equipped to cross the Simpson so no problem to tow me out of there with a winch. That turned out to be the last crossing so after that it is just rocks and big washouts I have to deal with, I am so tired that I can't wrestle the bike so it's a slow ride. With 25km to go I meet the rangers, Dick had mentioned me and they came to check me out, with them escorting me to the camp, I arrive just as the sun sets, never been so exhausted.
I was aware that my friends knew where I was and my wife can track me on her computer in real time from Brisbane so I never panicked but today made me realise that this country is not forgiving to the unprepared.
Dalhousie with its hot springs is a paradise.
My friends informed me that the track we used was closed, there's a big sign at this end but not where we started, it was either forgotten or blown away, no wonder it was hard. 50km took me 7 hours and I drank 7 ltrs of water.


Rest day, it's hot, so it's a book in the shade and swimming in the lake.


We get going @ 8:00 and pass near the very obvious sign road closed if they put one at the other end my ride would have been less adventurous. We are off to Mt Dare and according to other travellers the road is very bad, well it is but nothing compared to the "closed" one, I struggle a bit on a 3km long stretch of soft sand I am just glad that it's only 15-20cm deep, not enough to bog. Closer to Mt Dare the wind blows crazy, there is a thin layer of sand across the road making it hard to see the holes and bulldust. A cold beer at the roadhouse washes down all the dust and we are on our way to Finke after feeling the tank @$2.88 a ltr. The road to Finke is good except a 10km stretch following the river bed, again its not deep enough to get bogged but while the car is flying over the stuff, I struggle doing 30kmh. Still the ride is scenic so the slow speed is a bonus.
Finke is a large aboriginal community, no shop, no fuel and a huge storm is threatening to the north which is the direction we would take, as we get the first few drops of rain we decided that it is safer to go West and rejoin the highway, my leg is very swollen and it will be good to go to Alice Springs and show it to a doctor. The track to Kulgera is wide very corrugated but improves the closer we get to the highway. We camp near the railway line, found some old nails used to hold the rails in place.


Early start after a bit of rain last night, today it's riding on the black stuff, I just stop at the first roadhouse to buy some fuel, bmw recommend premium unleaded which I haven't found since leaving Bourke it didn't seem to affect the bike at all.
At 130kmh I get to Alice Springs at noon after just a quick photos stop near the bridge over the Finke. I go straight to the hospital where a first doctor takes a look at my leg... Not good, by the time they do ultrasound and other tests and after seeing 3 more doctors, the verdict is no riding for 3 days and keep leg up. I have a partial tear of the inner calf muscle, an intramuscular tear of the other calf muscle and an internal tear of the achilles.
Dick and Bron have friends just outside Alice who welcome us so at least I get to stay in a nice place rather than in my tent.
Since they have to be back in Sydney by next weekend they can't wait for me and they are thinking that I won't be riding for a while, so they left the next day. I just rest and relax with my feet up on the table watching the swelling go down.


Checked in hospital again this morning, swelling is going down nicely but the leg is red... Verdict infection, so they put me on antibiotics and will need to see them on Thursday. I am determined to go on though, so if all is good on Thursday I will get moving again, I can no longer go to the APY lands as my permit has ran out and being all by myself from now on it wouldn't be a good idea anyway but going back around Marree and follow the Birdsville track to go back to QLD is the new plan. Let's see what the doctor says.


I like Alice Springs it's laid back and quiet. Last time I was here was in 1988, I remember that there was a lot of drunken aboriginals in the street, nowadays there are still more aboriginals than whites but I haven't seen a single one drunk which is great, I like hearing them speak in their own language, it seems so exotic.
Yesterday I visited the desert park an attraction just a few kms West. It was good but not as good than being in the real thing, I enjoyed the bird show and seeing hawks, kites and owls up close.
I made the most of my unplanned rest, a bit of reading, a bit of doing nothing, catching up with this blog and even got a service done on the bike. Desert Edge Motorcycle even cleaned it as part of the service, must have taken them a while, it was covered in red dust.
Just had my final check at the hospital and got the all clear, so I'll be on my bike tomorrow morning heading south to Cadney Park.


Couldn't wait to be back on the road so I make an early start, most of today will be on bitumen and my off road tyres don't like it to much, the rear is already showing obvious signs of wear and it's got to last until I am back in Queensland so I take it easy, travelling at 100kmh instead of the allowed 130. That way I can also take a better look around, the McDonnell range look good in the early morning sun. It's a leisure ride to Stuart Well my first coffee stop and I am off already, nothing spectacular along the road, just a pleasant scenery and the occasional eagle tasting the overnight road kills, one of them a magnificent wedge tail is a bit slow taking off I come so close it looked like I could almost touch it with my hand, beautiful.
My next stop is Kulgera, coffee and fuel and off we go, by 1:00 o'clock I am in Marla, lunch at the roadhouse and a quick chat to the French girl who has come all the way from Paris to work here, 16 million people down to 72 residents, good change.
Soon after Marla a strong wind blows from the south West, I was almost blown from the bike a couple of times, so it's at an even slower pace that I make it to Cadney Homestead, it's 3:00 and I am tossing with the idea to stop for the night. But I found the place not overly friendly and it's right beside the highway so I decide to get started towards the painted desert, back on the dirt. The track is good though and I end up going all the way to the Arckaringa Creek where I found a good spot to pitch the tent.
Tonight menu is water, bread a piece of cheese and salami, all washed down with a glass of swiss apricot snaps.
This turned out to be the longest distance I have done in a day since I left Brisbane, 630km, and I am camping in the middle of the painted desert, life is good.


On the road after a good night sleep I soon pass the Arckaringa Homestead, there's a sign on the road that says, camp ground, hot shower, oh well next time. I reach the Arckaringa Hills before 9:00am and I am glad I did as the full colours of the painted desert shine in the early morning sun, this is truly fantastic, I'll have a lot of photos when I can upload them. The road is good all the way to Oodnadatta where I stop for coffee and fuel, then I turn and head south on the Oodnadatta track, this is when I realise that I had a strong tail wind, it's now blowing sideways luckily the road is good not much change from when I was going in the opposite direction 2 weeks ago. A few stops on the road side for photos and a bite to eat, the sun is behind me which is good for visibility as well as the landscape colours. Not much wildlife except for 1 dingo, a few cattle on the road always moving at the last moment and in the wrong direction but I am used to them by now. The last 50km before William Creek have just been graded and compacted, it looks like bitumen only shiny and I am wondering how slippery it is so I stick to 80kmh were 100 would have been easy. When I get to WC the girl at the pub tells me that last week a guy came off on his bike going on that stuff, he had to be flown out by the flying doctor with a broken knee, his bike is still here.
Tonight I got tempted by a room with shower and a meal at the pub, this could be the last one for a few days.


Back on the Oodnadatta but going in the opposite direction, it's amazing how the perspective is different, I am also riding with a lot more confidence now that my leg has been fixed which means that I take more notice of the landscape. There are so many remains from the old Ghan, that I could stop every 50km and visit something, I just chose 1 or 2 that we missed on the way up, I particularly liked the old siding station at Cordimurka so took a few photos and had a drink there before continuing on. From here to Marree the track is pretty much the same as it was 2 weeks ago but I feel so much better that I got to Marree before lunch. As it is the only place I have found on the Oodnadatta that sell internet time, I make the most of it and get in touch with my family over What's up and upload a few photos to Facebook while eating a hamburger with the lot. Then it's onto the Birdsville track I don't want to go to far today so I just go past Clayton which advertise luxury cabins and decide to stop at Dulkaninna a bit further, the creek crossing just before the homestead even has water in it. I get a welcome from the friendly dogs first and then the lady of the house and her husband, very friendly people, she drives down to the place they have set up has camp ground and I try to follow on the bike in the rough and soft sand. I have the entire place just for myself with brand new amenities including hot showers. She tells me that I am camping next to some wetlands that are protected because migrating birds stop there, so I go for a walk and I am surprised to see so many birds, including a Brolga, it's indeed a very nice place.
Since I don't have Bron cooking for me any more tonight is going to be some nuts and a cup of soup not forgetting the glass of snaps before going to sleep.


After a good night sleep and a hot shower, I am ready to tackle the famous Birdsville track, it's a fresh 18° this morning and I am looking forward to a nice ride. I am not out of the camp ground that I come across a couple from Mt Isa, he is on a KTM adventure and she rides a Triumph 800, we stop for a chat, they are going to the Flinders, we talk bikes and tyres as you do and after a photo and hand shake they are off, I just stop at the homestead to say goodbye, that takes another 30min and then I am off.
First surprise is the road, it's very stony but good and its colour keeps changing, sometimes it's pure white or yellow or red, brown and even pink. The scenery is also varied, there are a good number of lakes from artesian water and therefore a lots of birds. Due to the rain the area received early this year, it's also quite green. There are numerous signs telling that camping is not allowed outside designated areas, I am planning to stop at the junction with the inside track, it's shown on my map as a camp spot a place called Tippipila Creek and I should be there at about 3:00pm.
About 50km before Mungerannie I come across a stretch of road so white it's almost blinding so I fail to see the massive patch of bulldust until I am right on top, I was travelling at 80kmh and only had about 10m to slow down, it gave me a good shake up, there were 2 more large potholes filled with the stuff, so I stopped got the camera and tripod out, set the camera to take a photo every second for 2 minutes and I went through the bulldust again but this time in 1st gear, enough for a good photo. While I was packing up I didn't hear a car coming up towing a large caravan, he hits the bulldust at full speed before I could give him a sign, this sent a cloud of white dust meters into the air. Later I stopped at Mungerannie for fuel and a beer and while seeping it, a bloke comes in winging about an idiot on a bike taking photos instead of warning him of the potholes, his caravan has probably filled up with white talcum powder.
Soon after the scenery changes again it's now full of dunes covered with green bushes, I stop regularly for photos, so much that I must have missed the sign for the camp spot, I realise this when I see a sign Birdsville 190km, I must have passed the spot by 50km. I hesitate to turn back or to go on as I won't make it to Birdsville before the night, but the track becomes much better and I am travelling at 80-90kmh so decide to push on. With about 100km to go, the sun is very low, wind has blown sand across the track and I am finding it difficult to see the potholes and other nasties, when I see a very lonely tree about 100m from the road, I decide that it needs company.
I won't even bother with the tent, just rolled out my sleeping bag onto the sand, facing West and looking at the best sunset ever, it feels like the show has been put on just for me, I probably took about 200 photos of it before hitting the sac, looking at the milky-way, feeling the cool breeze on my face. That night was the best experience I have had on that trip.


It's still dark when I wake-up and it's about 4:00am, so I just lay there looking at all the stars, it feels cold outside but wrapped in my sleeping bag it's OK. I get up just before the sun so that I can take a few pics of the sun rise, the temperature is 9 degrees so I don't waist time before putting on a few layers. When the sun gets higher, it quickly warms-up, I eat my cereals and get back on the road. With only 90km to cover, I am in Birdsville by 9:00am, a good hot coffee at the bakery and I decide to ride the 30km towards the Simpson desert to have a look at big red the biggest sand dune in Australia according to my map. It is big and there is no way that I could get my big bike to the top, so I just park it there and walk-up, nice view.
Back to Birdsville and I decide to go-on after refuelling, at the servo I meet two guys who have come from Broken Hill via Innamincka on push bikes amazing, they have a support vehicle for food, drinks and camping gear, still pedaling on these roads must be hard.
The Birdsville developmental road is pretty good and I travel safely at 90-100kmh, some sections are even sealed, it's mid-afternoon when I get to Betoota, population 0.... it's only the remains of an old pub, the area is nice though with interesting landscape features, still very dry and not much plants and trees, there is cattle here and there and I wonder what they eat. A bit further I stop at Deon's lookout, it's well worth a look, only 1km from the road on a stony bit of track, it's on top of a cliff overlooking the plain to the west, being late afternoon the sun is in front so not the best for photos but still a good view to give a sense of how big these plains are.
When the Birdsville road joins the Diamentina road it becomes sealed all the way to Windorah, so even if it's a bit late I decide to keep going and slpend the night there. In 4 weeks, I have never traveled more than 2-3 hours without seeing another vehicle but on that day from Birdsville to Windorah, there was absolutely no one else anywhere, amazing. From about an hour before sunset, wild life becomes increasingly present on the side of the road, so I am down to 60-70 kmh to avoid any collision, I don't see any road kills though which is not surprising as there is no traffic. It's pitch dark when I see the town lights, a sign indicates a grid just before the main street so I slow down even more and at that time, I just catch a flicker on my right, hit the brakes and come to a stand still within 2 meters and right in front of a black horse crossing the road, I must have seen his eye as everything else about him is totally invisible in the dark, that was close. I thought about getting a room at the hotel but a sign says no vacancy so I just set-up the tent in the council camp ground.


Before leaving Windorah, I refuel and get bacon and eggs from the servo, the lady there warns me about the tanker road trains carrying crude oil in 4 trailers for a total of 200 tones, apparently the last trailer whips so much that if you don't get totally off the road you are in trouble, thanks I will keep both eyes wide open. As it turned out I did not see any between there and Quilpie but I know there are a lot of road trains because of the shear number of dead kangaroos, goanas and pigs along the way, being on a bike you get full sense of the smell, I swear it smelled like rotten carcasses all the way to Quilpie.
Leaving Windorah I see the solar farm, how come a small town like that has one and not every town in this sunny country, they must be technologically advanced in Windorah.
The road are all sealed from here so after all these desert tracks it is a bit of an anti-climax even though the landscape keeps changing becoming more and more vegetated as I move east, the towns are very typical outback towns. I go through Quilpie first and just a quick stop for coffee, would love to go to the pub, but it's a bit early for a beer and I want to keep going for a while. When i get to Charleville however the first thing I see is the old pub, it's 3:00pm and I decide to call it a day and even to book in at the Waltzing Matilda motel, the owner literally runs out of his office to take a look at the bike and to tell me about his Harley parked at the back, very nice. A quick shower and off to the pub for a cold one, they have ran out of everything except Carlton Mid and 4X Gold, oh well that'll do. A good chat with the locals and back at the motel for a nice rump before going to sleep. I have internet there so I check with the family and also take a look at the weather, not promising, lots of rain near the coast. Bugger.

I leave Charleville at 8:00 am, go through Morven, Mungallala, Mitchell and Amby without stopping, first stop is in Roma, fuel and coffee. It's overcast already and the temperature is dropping to about 18 degrees, I decide to put on my rain jacket and warm gloves and to keep riding. Soon it starts to rain a bit before I get to Miles where I stop for lunch, it's now raining quite a lot, I have 270 km to go and it's early afternoon, as the forecast for tomorrow is even worst, I decide to make it home even though I will get there after dark, I will just have to take it easy.
Chinchilla, Dalby and then Toowoomba where the temperature is only 13 degrees and traffic starts to get heavy, what an end to a beautiful trip, still I have had a lot of luck so I won't complain. It gets dark as I go through Towoomba, the visor on my helmet keeps fogging-up, I am cold and drivers are mad, I try to find a car that doesn't go to fast or doesn't change lane all the time so that I could just follow, looking at the rear lights but they are all crazy, driving like idiots, changing lane without indicating, etc..... I WANT TO GO BACK TO THE BUSH.
It's about 7:00pm when I pull in my driveway, I am freezing, but the welcome from my wife and my daughter soom warm me up and it's around a hot meal and a glass of wine that I am already telling them all about my adventure. And I am ready to go again any time.

Thanks for reading and if you haven't yet, just go out there and see this amazing country.
A selection of photos can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stef-gard/sets/72157652297423831/
BlogID: 6367
Views: 3530

Comments & Reviews(7) Rating 4.40/5

Post a Comment
You must be registered and logged in to post here.

Registration is free and takes only seconds to complete!
Blog Index

Popular Content